converting windows ipod to mac

Reaction score
Can anyone help - I am sure there must be a obvious solution to this, I brought a replacement ipod (5G video) which isn't recognised in Itunes or finder. The Ipod is windows formatted and I need to convert it to Mac. First I thought it was because I only had 1.1 USB as firewire does not transfer on these new ipod. I have now upgraded to a G5 mac with USB 2 but still no joy. Please can someone protect my head and my brick wall??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Can anyone help - I am sure there must be a obvious solution to this, I brought a replacement ipod (5G video) which isn't recognised in Itunes or finder. The Ipod is windows formatted and I need to convert it to Mac. First I thought it was because I only had 1.1 USB as firewire does not transfer on these new ipod. I have now upgraded to a G5 mac with USB 2 but still no joy. Please can someone protect my head and my brick wall??

I am a bit confused on what exactly your question is.. Are you asking how to reformat your ipod to mac that was formatted for windows? A simple restore would be a good way.. Just make sure and backup your music before the restore. A restore will delete all information on the ipod.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thats what I would like to do but the ipod isn't appearing in itunes or finder - maybe it's the ipod??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what I would like to do but the ipod isn't appearing in itunes or finder - maybe it's the ipod??

have you tried a reset? push and hold the middle button and the menu button at the same time for 10 seconds.. this may take a few trys and works best if hooked to power.

OP
T
Reaction score
yes tried that - and again for good measure. Thanks for your help, i will take into an Apple shop tomo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes tried that - and again for good measure. Thanks for your help, i will take into an Apple shop tomo

is it possible the battery is all the way dead? have you let it charge 12-24hrs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

That's a bit odd. You might want to reset the iPOD (not sure how to do this on a 5G) but even a Windows formatted iPOD should be recognised in Tiger using iTunes. Assuming there is nothing important on there, you should just format the iPOD in disc mode and force your Mac to mount it. Then fire up iTunes and see what happens.

Reaction score
hey, you might want to keep it as a Windows format. In my personal experience, I have enountered a strange occurance. When left in Windows format, both the Mac and Windows interfaces will allow the iPod an upload. However, when formatted as Mac, you may upload songs from other Mac computers, but not Windows. I'm not sure if Apple is aware of this, and will hopefully fix this.

My Two Cents,
Justin

Reaction score
I left my 2gen 10gb ipod in windows format once I moved to a mac. It was still recognized on my mini. And I have used it to move files occasionally from my computer to my sons (my old pc) so it was beneficial to keep it a windows format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.