Windows XP pro - 64 bit-will this work?..

Reaction score
Windows XP professional, 64 bit operating system is on sale for $60.00. Will this run on the Mac with bootcamp or will the 64 bit cause a problem?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple only supports windows xp sp2 32 bit edition.

So that is going to cause problems.

K

kgo

Windows XP pro 64-bit problem

I am a new Mac user, I purchased Macbook Pro! I have Win XP pro 64-bit and when I am using Win and try to shut down or restart my Mac hangs up. So I just hold the power button down until the Mac shuts down.

What options can I do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Bootcamp DOES NOT RUN x64 edition.

They couldn't have made it more obvious. Its your own fault for trying.

M

mojothemonkey

thats FASLE

i am running Windows x64 on my Imac (24") right now. the only thing that bootcamp does not support are the drivers, you have to go out and find those for yourself, as if you had installed windows and lost your driver CDs. the ethernet works, so you go to sites (nvidia, intel, etc) and get their x64 drivers, download, install, restart, good to go.

i can run everything from video games to office programs on this baby. The only things that dont work are the camera and the wireless, although I am hunting down which wifi card manufacturer apple used. I found a website that had ALL the drivers you needed, or the name of the manufacturer, so you could find it yourself, but i lost it right now.

In any case, a lot of threads here say you cant, but YES YOU CAN. You just have to get the drivers yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I can't see any reason you'd want to though... From what I've heard Windows x64 is supposed to be an even bigger headache than Windows x32...

M

mojothemonkey

i chose it for the rock bottom prices that you can find for the OS online, the cheapest x64 that i could find at the time was 60 bucks (for PRO) and the cheapest x86 (32 bit) was just over 90 (and that was HOME).

Reaction score
thats FASLE

i am running Windows x64 on my Imac (24") right now. the only thing that bootcamp does not support are the drivers, you have to go out and find those for yourself, as if you had installed windows and lost your driver CDs. the ethernet works, so you go to sites (nvidia, intel, etc) and get their x64 drivers, download, install, restart, good to go.

i can run everything from video games to office programs on this baby. The only things that dont work are the camera and the wireless, although I am hunting down which wifi card manufacturer apple used. I found a website that had ALL the drivers you needed, or the name of the manufacturer, so you could find it yourself, but i lost it right now.

In any case, a lot of threads here say you cant, but YES YOU CAN. You just have to get the drivers yourself.

Is it safe to assume that Vista will work as well, since it is 64 bit (84 bit, also) as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
XP Pro 64 is so cheap becase it failed, lack of driver support and other items not working properlu

Vista is MS real move to 64bit programs and O/S's.

XP Pro 64bit is fine if you can find all the drivers, often the issues are for things like printers scanners and cameras.

Reaction score
XP x64 on Macbook Core 2 Duo

I am posting this this reply on a new Macbook that is running x64, and running it well. I have yet to track down all of the drivers for it however the 10/100/1000 marvell yukon ethernet driver is obviously working, else this post would not take place. I have installed multiple programs on it. Heck, even the bluetooth mighty mouse and keyboard work immediately at boot-up assuming that the installer was run initially on OS X from the disks provided with that hardware. Now that I know it's possible because I am running it and it runs very well thus far, I WANT DRIVERS! I have yet to try Vista x64 but i can only assume it works too. Many people may say who cares? I CARE!!! Why? Because I, like many other people out there enjoy being a techie and furthering my capabilities, also I test software for a living... which means now I can test x64 software on a comfy and beautiful little laptop! As Borat would say... I like. I have a dual boot via boot camp as well as regular old XP 32 bit installed through parallels on the Mac side. This is super sexy and I wish people would not immediately rule things out just by reading what apple or microsoft or anyone has to say... If you think it's possible, attempt it, and don't let stupid corporations with convoluted opinions or advice get in the way! If there is still any debate of whether it's possible feel free to email me at [email protected] and i will send more definitive screen shots or something. Also email me with any drivers that you find for the Macbook, much appreciated!

sys specs and hardware.jpg

x64 on a macbook.jpg

with intel and network.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^^ good post :)

Apple just says it is not supported because they simply havent tested it, or they had issues so they dont want the hassle of supporting it knowing it will have issues and upset people and they will think it is Apple fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I am running Vista x64 and it is very fast. The only drivers I have not gotten working are for the sound card, trackpad support and wi-fi. Trackpad and button work fine... but I cannot use some of the special features (right-click, scrolling, etc.) Can anyone help with findin these 64-bit drivers??

Reaction score
I am running Vista x64 and it is very fast. The only drivers I have not gotten working are for the sound card, trackpad support and wi-fi. Trackpad and button work fine... but I cannot use some of the special features (right-click, scrolling, etc.) Can anyone help with findin these 64-bit drivers??

I have exactly the same situation and any help is appreciated!

Otherwise seems to work pretty nicely. I managed to get a blue screen of death when I tried some audio drivers though! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS 10.5.8 & WinXP
best windows to run on Mac? :p

Just purchased a Mac for the first time, a MBP that's in transit. I'll use it for business, so Windows apps, and I plan on boot camp with Win XP Pro.

I pass on Vista after test driving it for 2 weeks, so I had thought Win XP Pro (regular x32). Deja vu Win ME vs. Win2K?

Then last night I downloaded the trial from MS, and installed XP Pro x64 w/(SP2) on my desktop sys. Wow-- it's solid and noticeably faster than 32bit XP Pro. I notice in Task Mgr that the 2.2ghz Athlon X2 CPU runs at a lower % usage and slower moving/more stable level, and same with the 2gb of physical memory.

Got drivers for my Epson printer/scanner & Intel V.92 modem from Mfrs, and both of those working fine. Odd, Norton Int Security 05 wouldn't install, so went with Avast (v4 Home) for A-V, & I like it better.

So i think I've decided for Win XP Pro x64 bit on my macbook pro and I'll do time on drivers search. What about the Apple ext USB 56k modem? Is there a Win x64 driver for it?

I think i'd like a wireless mouse that would need a x64 driver, don't suppose that will be too hard to find.

I'm looking forward to discovering Tiger OS. :D

Reaction score
Just purchased a Mac for the first time, a MBP that's in transit. I'll use it for business, so Windows apps, and I plan on boot camp with Win XP Pro.

I pass on Vista after test driving it for 2 weeks, so I had thought Win XP Pro (regular x32). Deja vu Win ME vs. Win2K?

Then last night I downloaded the trial from MS, and installed XP Pro x64 w/(SP2) on my desktop sys. Wow-- it's solid and noticeably faster than 32bit XP Pro. I notice in Task Mgr that the 2.2ghz Athlon X2 CPU runs at a lower % usage and slower moving/more stable level, and same with the 2gb of physical memory.

Got drivers for my Epson printer/scanner & Intel V.92 modem from Mfrs, and both of those working fine. Odd, Norton Int Security 05 wouldn't install, so went with Avast (v4 Home) for A-V, & I like it better.

So i think I've decided for Win XP Pro x64 bit on my macbook pro and I'll do time on drivers search. What about the Apple ext USB 56k modem? Is there a Win x64 driver for it?

I think i'd like a wireless mouse that would need a x64 driver, don't suppose that will be too hard to find.

I'm looking forward to discovering Tiger OS. :D

I know me and you just brought this post back from the dead. but **** why not. I just instaled Vista Ultimate 64 bit and as of today the other things not working are WiFi, isight, and the performance controller. The performance controller i assume is used with the battery settings. The track pad does not have detect miss clicks and such as when you type it moves around 24/7.

On a side note Vista 64 took 24 minutes to install. Thats just shy of 18 minutes less then it took to install on my PC. I am running 1GB of ram and games like Wow play very nice for what graphics card i do have. I am very impressed and will be buying a cd key for vista 64 as soon as I can find the wifi drivers. I am on hold with apple now to find the manufacter of the wireless card. If worse comes to worse I will rip it out and write down the name of the company as I am sure I can find it labeled on the pci-e card.

/salute to all you douches who read what apple says but never try it and then tell everyone it doesnt work!

EDIT:
Just an update I have found working drivers and all in one installation kit by Atheros for the AR5008 installed in MacBookPros. This package covers virtually every wifi card and nic card they make. Please sure with others. I am not going to buy a cd key for Vista 64 as its running perfect. Better then my PC.

http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5008&system=3

I had issues installing with 64 bit and 32 bit internet explorer via 64 bit vista. I used Firefox to install.

Okay so I added two pictures showing what i have set up. I will keep this post updated with changes regarding links. Hopefully Apple will include the drivers for 64 bit wifi as they have with everything else. Even though they SAY they don't support it. Should say 64 bit is not fully supported YET.

deviceman.jpg

systemprop.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS 10.5.8 & WinXP
Good work auiotour,
So your Atheros wifi is working now?

I found Win XP Pro x64 drivers for the Nvidia 8600M GT here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum...c&search_in=posts&result_type=posts&hl=&st=50

Intel chipset here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...2529&DwnldID=12150&agr=N&lang=eng&PrdMap=2529

Marvell/Yukon LAN (v10.15.4.3) driver here: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

I haven't found an XP Pro x64 driver for the Atheros AR5008 , although a couple of sites hint at it: I emailed Atheros with a request.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NE...CARDS/ATHEROS-ZIDAS-AR5008-Driver-60275.shtml & http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/MiniPCI...ss-miniPCI-card-for-laptops/product_info.html

Since I only had SP1 of XP Pro x64 (download from MS site) that initially installed stable-- but the chipset & network drivers didn't work so I couldn't get SP2 via Win update. Apple support couldn't tell me my specific chipset or network h/w to help me get the XPx64 drivers. So I temp gave up and intalled XP Pro 32, and this h/w info from Device Mgr. I just bought a license of XP Pro x64 online that has SP2, and if I can get a driver for the Atheros wifi, that will be the Win portion of my mbp; otherwise i'll use it as perm key on my desktop PC when the 120 trial runs out..

So, what are your impressions of Vista Ult x64 compared to XP? How do you find it's speed to boot up, search files, run Apps? Have you discovered any productivity improvements? Does it run all your s/w fine?

P.S. Was playing around in OS X last weekend at a cabin in the mountains where only internet was 56K... My nephew showed me how to create a wireless network peer-to-peer in 2 secs, and then his mbp & another PC notebook were able to connect & share the broadband:) We tried doing the same thing in WinXP, and.. haven't figured it out yet.

macbook Dev chips & display.jpg

macbook Dev Mgr Net & Sys.jpg

Reaction score
attempting xp64 install on mbp 2.2ghz with 8600GT nvidia
this site: www.opendrivers.com is a huge help in locating the needed drivers (and newest updates!)
will update when done, and working...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.