fan noise at 3400-3900 RPM--normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
fan noise-normal?

Hi guys,
So my MBP 1.1 has been in twice for fan noise/problems. When I got it back I installed smcFanControl to keep an eye on their performance (not so much for the heat). I notice a jet engine like noise when the fan hits the 3400-3900 RMP range. the noise is qualitatively different than in lower or higher ranges. Is this normal? I’m so tired of fan issues with this machine.
Any thoughts?
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2.33GHz - Glossy, Baby.
I don't hear anything until they hit the high 4000 range.

OP
traded
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
I don't hear anything until they hit the high 4000 range.

thank you for writing. Does your machines noise go away at higher RPM's?
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean does the noise go away?

The higher the rpm, the louder the fans. Generally speaking, unless I'm doing some HD video work, I stay under 52 degrees, and the fans operate at their minimum speed, 2000rpm. I haven't done any gaming yet. Doubtless that'll raise the temperature--and the fan speed.

At 2000rpm, I hear nothing at all. Even at 3000rpm, I really don't hear much.

I have a C2D, by the way, and this is my second one. The first one I had to return because there was something wrong with the logic board, and the fans were running at 6000 rpm constantly. Now THAT was loud.

So you may have an issue.

How often are your fans ramping up? And what are you doing when they do ramp up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If you mod the ECU you can raise your redline to 11k rpm, but that only helps with the JDM type R cams.

O whoops...

1800 is idle, 3500 is a pretty average number, they go over 6000rpm under heavy load.

As for the original topic, if it makes a weird or different noise at a certain RPM, that's strange and not right.

OP
traded
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
What do you mean does the noise go away?

How often are your fans ramping up? And what are you doing when they do ramp up?

The strange thing about my noise is that when the RPM goes past about 3900 (4000-6000) the jet engine like noise goes away. Now there is the expected fan blowing noise that gets louder, but I’m concerned by the jet noise. The noise in the 3400-3900 RPM range is qualitatively different than the typical noise we get at the higher RPM's.

My fans ramp up appropriately, when I’m using my processor(s) heavily. They do not randomly ramp up.

Thank you all so much for writing.
-d

OP
traded
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
As for the original topic, if it makes a weird or different noise at a certain RPM, that's strange and not right.

Thank you. I will give apple care a call and see what they have to say. Just for closure, I will post a note about what they say.
-d

OP
traded
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
So I called AppleCare. They told me to go to my apple store. The guy there was really really nice. He took it to the back but didn’t hear anything unusual and told me to come back if it gets worse.
Hope it doesn’t
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just like taking your car into the shop. It never makes the noise when the mechanic is there.

Still sounds odd to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
maybe the fan is really dusty i remember hearing about something like that before?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.