Darwin Commands

C

CyberCandy

Hi all! I have been reading through this fourm and luckily have found many answers to my questions, so thanks go out to all of you for using this forum. Murlyn has been giving a few Darwin command that has been helpful and I was wondering where I might find a list of these commands, or are they just a secret kept by the great wizard? Most of the info I have found on the apple site goes into the delevoper side of it. I am an end-user not a developer, if you catch my drift... Any help would be appreciated.

CC

OP
M

masaka___

CyberCandy said:
Murlyn has been giving a few Darwin command that has been
helpful and I was wondering where I might find a list of these commands, or are
they just a secret kept by the great wizard?
CC

Type these lines in the terminal to get a list:

ls -l /usr/bin
ls -l /Developer/Tools

To learn more about the individual commands, use the `man` command:

# learn more about ls
man ls

# learn more about gcc
man gcc

# learn more about GetFileInfo
man GetFileInfo

# learn more about sudo
man sudo

# learn more about wget
man wget

etc., etc., etc...... .. .. .

Reaction score
Try this:
lsof -i
gives open internet connections. without -i gives all open files
<good advice> get a book on linux </good advice>

OP
C

CyberCandy

unlink file

Graphite and Murlyn you two are the best! Thanks for the nice words in general discussion... NOW I went out and bought myself a book and have been reading all about Terminal and Unix commands and actually worked my way up to a brick wall. hehehehe No really, I am using retrospect to archive my files and the archive volume is locked when it is archived. With the old OSs there was no problem with deleting them... just went to sharing and unlocked it. Not with OSX tho as I well know. Tha brings me back to the Terminal. The file I am trying to delete has a file mode code of drwxrwxrwx, so from what I have read, I should have open range on moving it or deleting it right? Wrong, it won't let me...SO I kept reading and used the sudo rm -r plus the file name and it asked tor my password. I thought "Yippie! I've done it!" and with much anticipation hit the enter key. WHAT? NO NO say it isn't so! (here is what I got).

[localhost:~] digitallydone% sudo rm -r/Users/digitallydone/ARCH\ 4:2002
Password:
rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about unlink file in the book I have... help?

ped

Reaction score
CyberCandy said:
Graphite and Murlyn you two are the best! Thanks for the nice words in general discussion... NOW I went out and bought myself a book and have been reading all about Terminal and Unix commands and actually worked my way up to a brick wall. hehehehe No really, I am using retrospect to archive my files and the archive volume is locked when it is archived. With the old OSs there was no problem with deleting them... just went to sharing and unlocked it. Not with OSX tho as I well know. Tha brings me back to the Terminal. The file I am trying to delete has a file mode code of drwxrwxrwx, so from what I have read, I should have open range on moving it or deleting it right? Wrong, it won't let me...SO I kept reading and used the sudo rm -r plus the file name and it asked tor my password. I thought "Yippie! I've done it!" and with much anticipation hit the enter key. WHAT? NO NO say it isn't so! (here is what I got).

Password:
unlink file

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about unlink file in the book I have... help?

And the thing you're attempting to remove isn't a file, it's a directory. hence the permissions you mentioned:

drwxrwxrwx

The 'd' to the left means it's a directory. You can remove a directory (and all its contents) with this command:

rm -Rf dirname

But be VERY sure you know what you're doing as it will trash everything under that directory.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
CyberCandy said:
Password:
unlink file

The reason you received an error is you forgot to put a space between the r and the slash (.i.e r/).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.