Printer Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I just got my MBP last week and everything working great, but I had problems with my printer. I have an older HP deskjet 812 that works fine with the windows computers.

I plugged it into the mac, created a word document, and hit print. It looked like it stretched each row of letters past their normal height, then cut off the top and bottom of each row - leaving just the middle.

I created and printed another document just to see if it was how I formatted the first, and got the same result. I then printed a test page to check that out, and the test page printed fine. When I hooked the printer back up to the windows computer it worked fine as well.

I've always heard how Macs work with everything, so I'm a little disappointed that it's not working right. Is there something I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You've selected the right paper size in page setup?

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've selected the right paper size in page setup?
That was my first guess. The first document was on 5.5 x 8.5 paper for a baby shower invitation my wife needed to print. The second document I created was on 8.5x11 paper and it did the same thing.

I'll give that other program a shot and see what happens.

OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's working now

I DLed that gutenprint program and that fixed it. I'm still a little disappointed that Mac prides itself on the fact that you don't need drivers, then I get my computer and the first thing I have to do is download drivers for my printer.

Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Glad that resolved it.

I'm with you on the disappointment: I had trouble printing to my Samsung printer once it was connected to a D-Link print server, and after hours of struggling the Gutenprint thing fixed it in minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.