imac slowing down fast

Reaction score
I have had my imac G5 powerpc for a year now and been very happy with it. I even converted my PC loving wife. Unfortunately we have been having problems recently. The pin wheel comes up regularly. iphoto also takes 3 seconds or so to open folders.

I have 1GB of RAM and the 20inch imac processor.

I turn the machine off most nights as I have moved to india and power is a really problem. I have mainmenu and run all options, disk utility also. I have left on sleep for 3 nights in a row and still it is slow.

I have abot 150 GB left of space on the hard drive.

Has enyone got an idea what i can do to get my machine back to where it was a month ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
There are maintenance scripts that run during the night, like Alexis said use Onyx to run them and then reboot- that should help.

Reaction score
People including myself have had problems with onyx. It failed to find my hard drive after I rebooted with Onyx and some have even had to install from scratch.

Some say that the 10.4.8 update has caused slowing problems.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 17" Intel
I use Macaroni for maintenance. It seems to work very well for me. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
if no software seems to help you could also just restore the computer to factory settings with the restore disk that comes with the computer. Make sure to backup your computer before hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.