G3 700 Ibook running OS 10.4.8 seems very sluggish

Reaction score
im normally a pc user but i notice a significant sluggish feel when loading programs, closing programs, opening windows etc. I upgraded the ibook to 640 megs ram. any suggestions? Im not familiar with how to tweak macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Well, to be frank, that particular model (G3 processor) isn't the quickest nor is it the most efficient when it comes to Tiger. I'm running 4.8 on a similar machine (G3 800MHz iBook with 640mb) and it's sufficient (if not overly quick) with everyday tasks. Don't expect a G3 to perform miracles running Tiger. A more effective OS would be the native Jaguar with that machine. What specific progs are you running/having troubles with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am not trying to be rude but you are trying to run a new OS on and old computer.. it being sluggish sounds about right.. as JBarbier stated you might want to try Jaguar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just try to run as well superfluous things as possible, i.e. turn off any dashboard widgets that might be gobbling up RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
As my suggestion, Panther would be better than Jaguar IMO (Faster and still current)
.::.Colton.::.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
As my suggestion, Panther would be better than Jaguar IMO (Faster and still current)
.::.Colton.::.

Absolutely, Panther is far better, more efficient and actually does run quicker on any machine, especially older ones, than Jaguar.

Tiger should run quite well though and switching from Tiger to Panther won't see much of an improvement and switching to 10.2.x will actually see it slow down (not to mention many apps don't work with Jaguar now).

As for it being slow, well it's really going to be down to the HDD speed and available RAM, not to mention that the CPU is more or less the same as a 800mhz P3. A 4 year old laptop running Vista would do far worse!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.