• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MAC for XMas

Reaction score
I've been a PC user for about 7 years now. I've had a Dell Dimension 4100 from year 2000 and now it's finally "dying" poor thing. I'm actually typing on it right now :(

I'm planning on buying a MAC Pro for Xmas as a treat to myself. :girl:

I live in Los Angeles and will most likely be purchasing my MAC from The Grove Apple store. I have certain questions regarding this new system. I've had some exposure with MAC's years ago from Work but very limited in purchasing.

I was thinking of getting the 3.0 Processor with 1 gig stick of RAM for now (probably cost me about $3000 out the door)? Would this be good enough because I'm doing most of my work with FLASH MX2004, Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Dreamwaver.

Will I be able to move my PC files from my slave drive to my new MAC drive? or can I even install the old slave drive in my new Mac Pro?

Also, will my 20inch SONY monitor work with this new machine?

I'm extremely EXCITED to make this purchase but also want to make sure I do make the right decisions in regards to configurations . Thank you so much for your help!! :mac:

J

joshMP

first off dont get the 3.0, Intel will be releasing the Xeon series chips for a long time to come and they just announced the quad core series as well, apple makes more money if you buy the 3.0 than it is worth to you and same with the 2.0. Get the standard 2.66 version (like i and many others did) with stock ram and order ram online....you are definitely going to want at least 4gb if you are doing anything intensive in photoshop too. Apple tech's should help you move your PC files from your old ccomp to the new apple in the store... and your monitor should be compatible through VGA or DVI connection for sure....and it will be quite a bit more than 3000 out the gate for all that.

OP
BanaLust
Reaction score
first off dont get the 3.0, Intel will be releasing the Xeon series chips for a long time to come and they just announced the quad core series as well, apple makes more money if you buy the 3.0 than it is worth to you and same with the 2.0. Get the standard 2.66 version (like i and many others did) with stock ram and order ram online....you are definitely going to want at least 4gb if you are doing anything intensive in photoshop too. Apple tech's should help you move your PC files from your old ccomp to the new apple in the store... and your monitor should be compatible through VGA or DVI connection for sure....and it will be quite a bit more than 3000 out the gate for all that.

GREAT ADVICE!!

Do I need to bring the whole PC to the MAC Store so they can do the transfer or should I just bring in the slave drive by itself?

I was thinking of getting my RAM from Newegg, unless you know of a better place?..

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I've been a PC user for about 7 years now. I've had a Dell Dimension 4100 from year 2000 and now it's finally "dying" poor thing. I'm actually typing on it right now :(

I'm planning on buying a MAC Pro for Xmas as a treat to myself. :girl:

I live in Los Angeles and will most likely be purchasing my MAC from The Grove Apple store. I have certain questions regarding this new system. I've had some exposure with MAC's years ago from Work but very limited in purchasing.

I was thinking of getting the 3.0 Processor with 1 gig stick of RAM for now (probably cost me about $3000 out the door)? Would this be good enough because I'm doing most of my work with FLASH MX2004, Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Dreamwaver.

Will I be able to move my PC files from my slave drive to my new MAC drive? or can I even install the old slave drive in my new Mac Pro?

Also, will my 20inch SONY monitor work with this new machine?

I'm extremely EXCITED to make this purchase but also want to make sure I do make the right decisions in regards to configurations . Thank you so much for your help!! :mac:

The 3Ghz Quad Core machine would be awesome an awesome choice if you really want to put out that sort of money, but the 2.66 machine would probably suit your needs as stated above. Definitely get as much RAM as possible. There shouldn't be much of a problem moving the files to your new Mac Pro. There isn't a reason I can think of why your 20" Sony Monitor would not work.

Good luck! :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.