• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xmas: 20" Apple LCD or 360 HD-DVD player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
Hey Guys,

With xmas coming up, just debating on some things for me to get.

Now, Ive been thinking about a 20" apple LCD. They look great, and will leave loads of room on my desk, as I will be able to tuck my MBP under the shelf. I already have it sitting next to a 32" HDTV, but dont really want to connect it to that.

Or, the new HD-DVD drive for the 360. Looks awsome and £300 less, so would get more extra little things.

what would you go for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Go with the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive, I think you'll probably benefit more out of it. As although the 20" Apple LCD's are nice I think it's a benefit you can afford not to get

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go with the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive, I think you'll probably benefit more out of it. As although the 20" Apple LCD's are nice I think it's a benefit you can afford not to get

Well I get a decent wage for doing things for a few people every month, so I could easily afford the 360 player at a later date, but thats what im thinking at the moment.

Any more opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
I would buy a different brand of LCD and then buy the HD-DVD Drive for the same price as the Apple LCD. Thats my 2 cents. Thats why I bought a Dell screen myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
i would buy the Cinema Display because they are beautiful. i am getting mine later on next year. the Xbox HD-DVD looks great but i think you should wait until more movies come out. idk about you but most of the movies i like are out on Blu-Ray which makes me SOO mad. DIE SONY!

ok ill stop now. lmao.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have looked at other brands, including dell, but to be honest I just love the apple ones. I find that a mac isnt a mac if your not going to use apple things with it. The Screens are overpriced, but are just so nice.

What about this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148/rb/23325277497

Also, would a 20" Widescreen be THAT much bigger then my 15" on my mbp? Im currently just using that with an icurve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i'd get the Hd-DVD drive myself, but i wish that they would include it now anyway instead of the standard DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Be a man.

Get both.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz Core 2 Duo Imac 1GB ram Superdrive
If you can buy the HD-DVD player today.... here is a coupon you might want...

coupon.jpg

I used it for the HD-DVD player and it worked no problem :)

Edit: Saw you are in the UK... oh well maybe somebody can use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
HD-DVD FTW!! Its usb so you can also hook it up to your mbp with a driver. You could probably just google it and you would find it. But anyways if you have the tv then get the drive first.

Reaction score
Apple Cinema displays are overpriced.
XBox HD-DVD drives can't even play 720p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Cinema displays are overpriced.
XBox HD-DVD drives can't even play 720p.

What are you talking about the hd dvd drive does 1080p through vga and 720p/1080i through componate.

Reaction score
What are you talking about the hd dvd drive does 1080p through vga and 720p/1080i through componate.

Read the section on uses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

Your TV might be getting a 720p signal but it is just upscaled 480p.

edit: Actually, that is only half right, it depends on the HD-DVD as to whether or not HDCP is enabled, so the titles out now can, but in the future they won't.

edit: They aren't going to enable HDCP on HD-DVD until like 2012, so pretty much my point was completely wrong. Get the HD-DVD Drive, Apple displays are still overpriced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HD-DVD + UK's version of Netflix FTW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your TV might be getting a 720p signal but it is just upscaled 480p.

no its not. not if you play an hddvd if you play a regular dvd it will upscale it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure the 360 HD-DVD drive doesn't upscale normal DVD's. I really can't tell any difference between it and my 360 playing the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okkkk Every One I Didnt Know It Was Against The Rules So Stop With The Bad Rep Please I Wont Do It Again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.