am I ready?

Reaction score
Do any binaryMasters out there think I am about ready for Cocoa? I am a 50 year old builder/hobby programer. Since I started teaching myself C and C++ in the last couple of years, I would say I am at about an Intermedate level. I have worked with the Allegro/AllegroGL librarys and with OpenGL and Glut with both languages. By the way, all this was done using XCode, I know absolutly nada about Windows.

Wha da ya thank?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I would say "go for it." If you want to try it, don't let anything stop you!

M

MacHeadCase

So would I! I'm no developer by any means but I love seeing more people hopping on the Mac development bandwagon! Simply groovy! We're gonna see another Mac dev! Yay! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Go for it.

Good luck with your new challenge!

Reaction score
Sound like you're already on the path, are enjoying the challenge and proving that age isn't in the equation....

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all the moral support.
Maybe = [[technical support] three];

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You'll want to really try to learn how object oriented programming works because that will make your Cocoa coding easier to understand. Your background suggests you're capable so jump in.

A good book will make it easier and you can find some good reviews at Amazon. Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillgrass is highly praised. I thougt is was well written and easy to follow.

OP
T
Reaction score
Actually I have already started with it. I am amazed by the small amount of code it takes to get something done and the small amount of CPU usage as compared to using allegro. It just seems to make more sense to send a message to a class or instance thereof than to call a function or class method. I have to admit that I feel as if I am cheating using the Interface Builder, but **** the GUI looks so much better than anything I have coded up myself using bitmaps, not to mention with very little effort. As for portability I simply do not care, buy a mac.

Three

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.