ok got my new Ibook and im confused

Reaction score
ok I am a total Mac newb so I need some help here. I have downloaded programs to install and they are in the dmg format but i cant seem to figure out how to install them to the laptops hd. when i double click on the dmg file it seems to create a disk image file and runs the program from that but doesnt install it to my hd for later use. how do I do this? also where do i add ram to ibook g3 700 i took the battery out but dont see any other doors on the bottom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
First suggestion would be to search, you'll find a great deal of answers in the forums already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
ok I am a total Mac newb so I need some help here. I have downloaded programs to install and they are in the dmg format but i cant seem to figure out how to install them to the laptops hd. when i double click on the dmg file it seems to create a disk image file and runs the program from that but doesnt install it to my hd for later use. how do I do this? also where do i add ram to ibook g3 700 i took the battery out but dont see any other doors on the bottom

Simple question simple answer. (rather than learn a new OS and how to search forums) Once the disk image is open, open the little "drive" icon. Then simply drag the app to your applications folder. Some programs you have to open a new finder window, some give a short cut to drag to.

As for Ram, I think it is under the keyboard.

bone

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boneheadz is correct on both points. If you are not sure what RAM to get, look at the specs for your machine on Low End Mac. It will tell you what ram you need. It's easy to get to. There are two catches at the top of the keyboard you slide and it lifts up. Ram is under a shield once you lift the keyboard. Be carefull not to kink or break the keyboards ribbon cable.

M

MacHeadCase

The iFixIt Guides might be of great help here. Just chose the correct iBook model you have and you'll be able to follow a step-by-step guide to gain access to the RAM and put the iBook back together again.

Fixit Guide Series.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.