• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help Needed Connecting a Camcorder!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17', 2.4 Ghz MBP, 4 GB RAM, + .Mac + 80GB Black ViPod + Airport Ext.*2 + Airport Exp.*2
Dear friends,

I'm quite a novice with iMovie and need to work with it on a work-related video projects.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR - HC96. iMovie doesn't seem to see it neither on my MacBook Pro nor on my friends' Powerbook.

Help anyone!

Thank you so-so much in advance!

UPD: The problem has been successfuly solved. Thanks all those who tried to help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I went to Sony's web site and found this link, which is in the manual that came with your camera. Have you tried these steps?

Reaction score
What type of connection are you attempting to use to connect your camcorder? You want to make sure that you are using firewire and not USB. Check out the apple support doc about this here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=165279

Also, check out this support doc which outlines steps on how to fix connectivity issues with iMovie.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43000

I know there's a page on apple's website somewhere which specifies which camcorders are actually compatible with iMovie. I'll post it here once I find it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17', 2.4 Ghz MBP, 4 GB RAM, + .Mac + 80GB Black ViPod + Airport Ext.*2 + Airport Exp.*2
Thank you lots for trying to help, guys!

The problrm is that I'm getting that bad feeling that this camcorder might not be compatible with iMovie at all :(

Any ideas about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
According to the review I found, your camcorder should have come with a dock:

SONY_DCR-HC96_ports.jpg

You'll need a 4pin->6pin firewire cable to connect your camera to your macs firewire port, iMovie doesn't support USB videocameras.

i3ecable64big.jpg

A quick google of DCR-HC96 + iMovie shows lots of other mac users who are using that camera, so it should work I think.

SomeotherguyonanotherforumIgoogled said:
finally got Sony DCR HC-96 today! :D Yey! and importing thru firewire was a breeze! now i can use iMovie! :D Whoopee!!! :D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem has been solved!

Here is what had helped it:

"...Check the date and time on your camcorder. Odd as this may seem, an incorrect date and time is one of the most frequent reasons that camcorders can't communicate with iMovie HD. If you've never set the date and time for your camcorder, follow the instructions in your owner's manual to set it. Then turn your camcorder's power off and then on again (this is called "cycling the power"). Connect your camcorder to your computer and try importing into iMovie HD again. If the problem persists, follow the steps below."

(Exert from iMovie's Help)

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Excellent that you got that sorted - bonus points for posting the solution!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.