• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Capturing video off of Xbox/TV - What device to use and how?

Reaction score
I am looking for a device that will be able to capture video off of my Xbox, yet still be able to view the video on my TV, any ideas?

P.S. Please nothing over 100 bucks, it would break my bank

Thanks for the help,

Jack

OP
R
Reaction score
EyeTV Hybrid

Does anyone know if I can capture the video coming off my game system? Is it just like capturing the television program?

Thanks for the help,

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OP
R
Reaction score
Is it true that I cannot change the form of the video to say .wmv or .mov? I was really hoping I could record something off my xbox, then post it on something like YouTube.com. Is this out of the question?

Thanks,

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
that would not be true. the eyetv software lets you convert your recording for anything, email, web, psp, ipod, toast (for dvd), and a crapload of other quicktime formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
picture1zj8.png

these are your export options

OP
R
Reaction score
TV+Xbox 360 Video Capturing

Hello all. Recently I got an EyeTV Hybrid. I was going to use it to watch and record TV and video from my Xbox 360. I went out to BestBuy today to buy all the extra cords and cables I needed, but could not for the life of me find a 20+ ft USB cable.

I was originally going to run the 25 ft cable up a wall, across my ceiling and down to my desk. What I found out, or rather was told that USB cable is no good past 16ft. I could buy a 10 ft, and a 16ft, but that would have cost me $52, meanwhile all the splitters for cable/360 A/V cost me $51. That didn't seem right to me. I was wondering if there is a better way to do what I am doing, or if there's a better device which I could exchange for. Also, I connected my original xbox just to see what it was like for a little bit and the picture quality was, well, undesirable.

I have included some pictures to help you understand what I am talking about. Behind the laminate dresser is the coaxial cable line, which I would split three ways (Modem, Capture Device, and TV.) The wood panel box that runs across the ceiling is where I was planning to run the USB cable across to get to my desk. If you follow the ethernet cable that runs out of the router you will be able to see what I am talking about (it runs across the wood panel box, and behind the poster.I use my PowerBook more like a desktop than a laptop so I wouldn't be upset if it were wired.

In the near future I will probably get an AirPort base station, and I also have a spare AirPort Extreme laying around, didn't know if this changes anything. Right now I have a Netgear Rangemax 240 wireless router (once again, this might be a solution.)

Thanks for your help,

Jack​

pict0448zg7.jpg
pict0450kk9.jpg
pict0447yg3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
usb's distance is limited beyond 25ft.

If you put the 360 in the cable plug you will have lag from the dvr, so it will make playing the xbox hard.

If you want to play it you need to use the adaptor that came with it and plaug the xbox in it via composite and an s-video adaptor. If you do it this way you wont be able capture vedio though but you will be able to play it lag free.

OP
R
Reaction score
That is why I have the RCA "Y" adapter cables so that I can record while watching it realltime on my TV screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
where are you going to plug the y cable into?

OP
R
Reaction score
It's 2 male to 1 female. So I put the 360's red, white, and yellow into the female end, and on the male ends I get television and capture device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this cable will convert that to coaxical cable?

OP
R
Reaction score
No, the EyeTV has a DV in cord that has a video (yellow) connection, than an adapter for audio so that both red and white can go in.
peitsche_pic2.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have an EyeTV Hybrid also. Have not used it for my Xbox 360. I have been using my PC as a DVR for several years and some experience getting the best possible signal from an HD ouput to a computer. Currently have my HD satellite receiver connected to my PC.

Have a couple of questions first. Am guessing your TV is not HD. Am assuming your Xbox 360 sits next to the TV, not the computer. Are you connecting the 360 to the TV using the component or composite cable?
What devices are you wanting the USB cable for? (Nevermind, figured this one out, you want to run a USB cable from your computer across and have your EyeTV sitting at the TV)

Should be able to help guide you through this.
Bed time for me now, check back tomorrow after about 6 central.

Cables - just in case
Composite - that's the single yellow connection for video
Mini-plug - that's the single one for sound to your EyeTV - you should also have an adapter for this, with single male mini-plug on one side and the two RCA plugs on the other
S-Video - that's the third one on your EyeTV adaptor
Component - cable with Red, Blue and Green connections

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here a a couple of sites with USB extenders. I have not used them myself.

http://www.vpi.us/usbc5.html
http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-active-extension-cable-bf-3000.htm

the 2nd is one of only a couple i found that support usb 2.0 and mac
There are several companies that have usb 1.1 extenders - many state they do not support mac - don't have a clue why if they are usb compliant - not that knowledgeable on that side

google for usb 2.0 extender, you may find more

for best picture quality on your computer you should use the s-video adaptor, you should have this cable - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/svideocable.htm
and know that best signal you will be able to get to the computer will be 480i

I can experiment hooking up my 360 to the eyetv this weekend and let you know the results if you don't have it up by then, i already have all the necessary cabling for this - just don't have time during the week

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Anytime ive required extra length in USB cables i have just joined a load of usb cables together until i have the correct length.

Not sure how this would affect tv picture quality, but it does not affect data being sent to a printer or hard disk!

Reaction score
Hope this help, if not, do not yell at me.

You can buy a RF modulator as a center of your connection, something like this http://www.shoptronics.com/rfsimotvvist1.html

Below is a diagam that it may work:
View attachment 20070104141924_001.pdf

Use a coaxial cable to connect the RF modulator to EYETV hybrid and leave the EYETV inserts directly to your Mac.

I am only uncertain how much signal will lose through the coaxial. Hope this help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Clearing things up

I have everything I need except for the USB cable, but so far it has cost me $200 (EyeTV-150 Splitters and such-50) and probably $50 more for the USB cable, and it seems rather outrageous to spend 100 dollars just on cables to make this thing work.

The audio and video that are coming out of my 360 are yellow, red, and white connectors, which I plan to split with a 1 female and 2 male adapter. The original a/v from the 360 goes into the female end of the adapter, and on the 2 male ends would be my TV, and the Hybrid.

My base questions to you are,

a.) Am I doing this setup wrong (setup as in having the Hybrid sitting near the modem/router on the left of the TV and splitting everything I want to record)?

b.) Is there a better device to do what I want? (capture [not watch] video off of my Xbox 360 at good resolution and record and watch TV programs)

As I said before when I connected my original xbox to the EyeTV just for kicks, the resolution was horrid.

The reason I need the 25 ft USB cable is to run from the male connector of the EyeTV up the wall, across the ceiling, and down to my desk to the female connection on my Powerbook.

Also, as you can see in the pics, I do have a TV which I will be using to watch video from my 360, and TV. That is why I have a coaxial splitter, and a yellow, red, and white splitter so I can watch the video from the 360 while playing it on my TV. Since I have 2 seperate coaxial connection for my TV and Hybrid so I can record TV on the Hybrid and watch a different channel on my TV or have it turned off.

If you have any more questions, or thing I am not being clear on, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A hardware based TV Tuner would work better for you since you aren't using the tuner to watch what you are playing. There is a delay in the recording because the unit does all of the video processing...this delay doesn't effect you since you aren't worried about the lag since you aren't watching it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.