What to expect during switch?

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to Mac's and this forum, but it looks like you folks are real helpful. Long story short I'm switching to Mac in January, and I'm looking at the 24" iMac. I'm need to wait till after X-mas for cashflow reasons, and I'm gonna wait until after Jan 8th to see what changes. While I'm new to the forum I've used forums before for other topics, so I've already checked around to find the answer to some of my questions. I have a list of simple questions about what will change or stay the same in my upcoming switch. I use my PC to E-mail, web surf, and feed my addiction to World Of Warcraft.

1. I use windows live messenger and skype to talk and "webcam" my family. Will I still be able to use these or something else to talk to my PC challenged family? I would guess that "windows" messenger won't work on a mac without running windows, but is there another program that will work on both platforms.

2. I use an external hardrive on my PC to hold all my iTunes/iPod music will I be able to plug that into my Mac to swich it over or do I have to reload my CD's? I plan to keep my PC up and running for awhile until I'm sure I can do everything on my mac, so this is about the only files I'll switch to the mac.

3. I currently run a wireless linksys router, can I plan on just "plugging" the ethernet cord into the the back of the mac and have it being able to access the web? Also if I plan on using the built in wireless on the mac should it be able to find/use the signal? Not a big deal if I have to configure the network but I'm just wondering if it will be easy.

4. Any other things that a switcher can plan on "popping up" that will cause problems during the switch? I just want to make it as easy and fast as I can, so I can be playing the WoW expansion pack on the 16th:bushman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
1. I believe Windows Live Messenger is available, but you'll have to check. Skype should be fine.

2. Plug your external drive in, it should be there straight away. If you have an iTunes library on there you will have to change the library location, of course.

3. Wired and wireless ethernet will be fine. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with my macbook right now :)

4. Have a search around the forums. There is a 'switchers' section, obviously (as you have posted in it) but others have asked similar questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
2. I use an external hardrive on my PC to hold all my iTunes/iPod music will I be able to plug that into my Mac to swich it over or do I have to reload my CD's? I plan to keep my PC up and running for awhile until I'm sure I can do everything on my mac, so this is about the only files I'll switch to the mac.
Check the format of the Drive. I suspect it is NTFS vice FAT32. OSX can read NTFS but not write to it, so if it is indeed NTFS you'll have to reformat the drive.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not expect OSX to be like Windows. There are things, or habits, you are going to have to "unlearn" from Windows because they are different on a Mac. Just keep an open mind and be prepared to learn.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies, and for answering my questions. I'm excited to make the switch, and I hope OSX is different, because I'm really just tired of windows:( . I'm looking forward to using the photo and video software, and also just learning how to use the Mac.
The last Apple I owned was an Apple IIc. I hear they've made some advances in the apple line since then!!! I've been listening to alot of podcast on Macs, and wish I could grab my Mac sooner, but I'll have to wait. I don't really need a PC for work or anything, so I'm planning on switching fully to Mac, and leaving PC's for good. I'm the spearhead of my family, so I wanna get comfortable with the Mac, so I can convert the rest of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Windows messenger won't work with webcam. Unfortunately. Skype will though, so it's no biggie of your family has Skype as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
So I looked toady and my external drive is fat32, so does that mean I should just be able to plug it in the Mac and go?

Also on a side note I was looking at my iPod today and it said it was widows format is that easy to change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, Fat32 will work fine, no issues.

You can easily just reformat your iPod, but as apple formats the iPod to FAT32 it should work with both OS's the way it is now, so I'd leave it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.