iMac and windows

R

rxdawg

Does anyone have an iMac running windows? If so are you using Parallels or boot camp? I am looking at buying a new iMac and I have 2 windows programs I need to run. These programs are not Microsoft based. I would love to run these using my Mac instead of having a separate windows machine. I am just worried that I won't be able to run more proprietary programs. Thanks for any help.

rxdawg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Lots of M-F members here use XP on their Macs one way or the other. It is up to you to decide how you want to run it. Parallels is slower than using Boot Camp but you have the possibility to access both operating systems simultaneously. On the other hand install XP using Boot Camp is faster but you will not be able to run OS X and XP at the same time. In either case there shouldn't be a problem installing Windows programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I tried both methods....I ended up sticking with OSX :)

However when ever I'm forced to run Windows Stuff I boot it up via Boot Camp which is very good, I just can't face seeing my OSX go down :'( So in the new year I should have my new monitor for my Media Centre PC then I'll be happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Depending on the application, it might be possible to run it through CrossOver as well. That's basically DarWine with a good GUI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.