New MacBook(2nd) List of My Fav Programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I now have 2 MacBooks - why? you may ask. Well my brother, who is a lot younger has one which I have been using for some time now, and then today, when I saw the Black Friday Sale, I couldn't resist. I got mine, a 2.0 ghz, core 2 duo, 1gb Ram, 80 gig for 1198!!! I couldn't believe it. Better than that student discount. Since I had played around on my brother's for a while, I now know exactly what programs I want on my MacBook! It's freaking awesome - Here's what I have(most of it is free)

-NeoOffice(word processor; I have the Microsoft Office Package, but it was a waste of my money, bc I have it for the Windows version, which I will be using via boot camp, and Office is waay too slow on Tiger for my taste)

-Acquisition(i paid $18, but there is a free version)

-Adium(AWESOME chat program that can combine AIM and MSN, along with others; for previous MSN users, I would use AMSN)

-Handbrake(for ripping my home collection onto my iPod and my Backup Drive)

-Stuffit(a must have for unzipping files; although there seems to be a bug currently)

-VLC Player(plays almost any sort of video format)

That's it so far, I think. Just wanted to share; maybe give you some answers to what programs you might want to consider. Like I said, all of those are free except for the ones stated.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this may get bumped over to the osx apps forum...

that said, on to the topic.

i've got a couple of those, and need to get a couple of the others i keep hearing such good things about (VLC , adium, and handbrake).

also, if you have need, you should check out:

audion - nice fully featured mp3 program (player, ripper, burner, etc) some don't like it because it doesn't have a main "window" <heh>. panic software has stopped development, so you can have the 30 dollar program for free right on their sight.

songbird - also really nice music player, looks quite a bit like itunes, but seems more fully featured. it's in it's beta stages, so you can pick up a copy free.

unison - also from 'panic' software, this is a really nice newsreader with great binary support and previews. not free, but absolutely worth every penny. the closest thing to forte agent (only for windows), and supersceeds it in many ways.

xee - nice little image viewer. seemed fairly inconsequential when i downloaded it in my quest to relegate iphoto to the nether regions of my applications folder. but now i use it more than adobe bridge or osx's preview.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
Checked out Xee - awesome program! Thnx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
-mactheripper

-handbrake

-quicktime pro

-windows rdc

-cisco vpn

the most important programs on my mac to-date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.