Boot Camp to Run Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I have to ask - will I be able to run Windows Vista on my Mac? I am currently running Windows XP SP2 on it, but will it work? If not, can you please explain why not? It seems perfectly reasonable that it would . . .

Reaction score
Yes it will work. Leo Laporte and the other big computer techs are waiting till the final version of Vista is ready to try it out. They seem very sure it will work just fine.
Seems as though if you ask Apple reps which to use; boot camp or parallels. They seem to think parallels is the way to go. I downloaded the shareware version a few days ago and it works flawlessly. So I was happy to spend the $79 for the full version. Its such a blessing to be able to switch back and forth w/o having to reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It shoudl work, or apple will release an update that will allow it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
But the EULA of the cheaper Vistas prohibit installing it on virtual machines. Not that I would care, but it's something you might want to be aware of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
When I got my MBP, I asked the rep at the Apple store. He said he has already run the latest beta of Vista with Bootcamp and didn't have any problems.

In bootcamp vs. parallels, it depends on what you use Windows for. Many people keep using Win for games, but you can't run games in parallels. Also, USB ports are reduced from 2.0 to 1.0 and I don't think the firewire ports work at all. If the port issue were worked out, I'd probably go with parallels. Hiopefully this issue will be taken care of.

It's a shame you can't have parallels AND bootcamp. I suppose you could, but you would need 2 copies of Windows and eat up more disk space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I prefer using Boot Camp....but ultimately I prefer using my Windows PC not that's any better than Boot Camp it's just I don't like to say goodbye to my OSX for the periods of time I want Windows up.

Granted if my iMac as it stands could run the two OS's simultaneously I would do that, but I don't think that's a viable option.

Reaction score
It's a shame you can't have parallels AND bootcamp. I suppose you could, but you would need 2 copies of Windows and eat up more disk space.

FWIW, that's what I did. I installed Parallels, installed WinXP for that ... then installed Boot Camp, and installed (same disk) WinXP. You have to call their toll-free number and explain you're dual booting in order to get the second install of XP "activated."

Yes, it means I'm using up twice as much hard drive space ... but storage is cheap. Now I can play games (Boot Camp) and also work (Mac OS X + Parallels). It was worth a little real estate on my 120G.

Also ... you can run Parallels on a removable disk, so you could go buy an 8G flash memory card or even an iPod and keep your "Windows machine" in your pocket. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.