Powerbook G4 vs. ibook G4 ? help

C

canthenien

Hi! I could use some opinions on this one. My powerbook G3 is biting the dust and I need to get a new mac. Money is a bit tight at the moment but I use my mac for alot of hi res photography, uploading and burning cd's, writing, and viewing alot of videos, commercials, etc.

My choices are between:

Powerbook G4 12" 1 GHZ Combo Drive 768 MB 40 GB Hard Drive

or

iBook powerbook G4 14" 640 MB, 40 GB Hard Drive

Will the iBook give me enough juice and speed to do what I need?

My only worry is in the future I might want the SuperDrive features...

Any suggestions or comments...
Thanks

OP
S

s3pt1k

I too was faced with a similar decission. What I found is that the screen on the 12" PB is too small AND they get HOT as ****. (Basically, don't keep it in your lap).

I bought an iBook G4 933 in December. My ONLY complaint is memory. I just need more. Currently at 256Mb. I use my digital camera with it every day without fail.

I would suggest the iBook. Mine even handles digital video from my Camcorder very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The iBook will do what you need for the tasks that you've listed. If you are doning these tasks over the net, then he bottleneck will be your internet connection not the 1ghz processor.

If you think that you want an internal dvd burner then buy it with it rather than swapping it out later. Both systems can use an external burner, but they won't be iDVD compatible.

OP
C

canthenien

immdb said:
The iBook will do what you need for the tasks that you've listed. If you are doning these tasks over the net, then he bottleneck will be your internet connection not the 1ghz processor.

If you think that you want an internal dvd burner then buy it with it rather than swapping it out later. Both systems can use an external burner, but they won't be iDVD compatible.

thanks for both your comments I'm going to go with the 14" ibook g4...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have to agree with the ibook. I recently got the ibook 1ghz. It does everything I ask of it. Digital camcorder, digital teleconferencing, pictures, I even play my guitar on it. The difference berween the ibook and powerbook, was negligable at best. The ibook stays much cooler, has longer battery life and is all around very nice. My sister bought a 15" powerbook the same day I bought my ibook, and she is actually jealous of mine over hers, LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.