• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Would this be an interesting article?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a few weeks away from launching my blog which will focus on virtualization. This site will cover products from VMware, Parallels, Xen, VirtualIron, and several other vendors.

Right now I am beta testing VMware Fusion, which will be competing with Parallels desktop for Mac. I was wondering how much interest would there be for me to show everyone how to P2V an existing Physical WinXP box into a virtual machine that would run on VMware Fusion. That would allow someone to "switch" without losing ANYTHING from their old XP system.

I've already done this and it works pretty well, within the confines of Fusion's current beta issues (ie: bugs) I'll be writing a review of Fusion as well...

So what are your thoughts? Would this be useful to you? Are there any particulars you think I should focus on? What other issues involving Virtualization or Virtualization on a Mac do you think would be interesting.

Thanks,
The Beav

Reaction score
i know what you're saying, when I went over there yesterday all I had was the first two they offered. I wasn't impressed. Then when I ordered the virtual network parts I wasn't impressed again... sigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've been using Parallels since its beta days, and we use a lot of virtualization in my office so I'm very interested in the topics you outlined.

Being able to switch lock, stock, and barrel to a virtualized environment is intriguing, to say the least.

i know what you're saying, when I went over there yesterday all I had was the first two they offered. I wasn't impressed. Then when I ordered the virtual network parts I wasn't impressed again... sigh

Umm... huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.