external Hard drive formatting

Reaction score
OK i got an external HD and its NTFS format and i need to make it FAT format, how do i do enable full write/read?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
under applications/utilities, find disk utility (not sure of the name, working on an HP right now).

make sure all the files you need are moved off of it and stored somewhere else.

then use the disk utility to reformat in fat32. that's all you have to do since fat32 will be able read/modified by both windows and mas OSs.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
at work, have my mac with me, but tucked away, might get time in a bit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Highlight the drive you want to format in the left-hand pane. In the right-hand pane, choose "Erase." Select "MS-DOS File System" and let 'er rip.

If you want to partition the drive, select "Partition" and configure it the way you like.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Can you see the external drive on the left pane of disk utility.
If so, you have a couple choices…
Go to the higher level item (should say something like "74.5GB ST###### 1A Media" - this is an example using my 2.5" 80G ext hard drive) and select "Partition" if you want to repartition and format the whole drive. Here you can select the number, size, name, and file system of the partitions. Should be fairly self-explanitory.
Alternately you can select any volume under the main heading for the hard drive (on the left pane) and select "erase" to format a single partition.

[edit] didn't see you there caribiner :thumbs up: [edit]

OP
A
Reaction score
TY very much its all set to go!

its a simpletech External Hardive. It looks very nice and was 99$ then 20 off and 40 off with mail in rebate , from comp USA. 11$ one year warrenty.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice deal - how big is it? GB and is it a 2.5" or a 3.5"?

i've got two, both were loose HDs i had, one from a vaio desktop (3.5" 120G) and one from my old 17" HP laptop (2.5" 80G). found nice cheap-ish adaptec cases for both, though the 3.5" needs an external power supply, so i need two cables and it gets a bit warm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.