Does the new nanos REALLY need itunes 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Hello I am getting a new Nano ( 2nd gen) for Chrismas and I was wondering do I REALLY need itunes 7 for it? As some of you know I am getting a iBook 'Clamshell' and I don't really want to put itunes 7 on it. ( IMHO itunes 6 is the best ) So do I Really need it?
.::.Colton.::.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think it does require 7, the new software on the nano might not be backwards compatible, and since itunes is free, and comes with the ipod on a cd, then I believe they can and do make it work with only 7 so that some of the newer features are possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I think it does require 7, the new software on the nano might not be backwards compatible, and since itunes is free, and comes with the ipod on a cd, then I believe they can and do make it work with only 7 so that some of the newer features are possible.

Nano's and Shuffles no longer come with iTunes on disk. Download only. IIRC, it's because they can package them much smaller and save on shipping and make treehuggers happy.

.. and from Apple -
Mac system requirements
Macintosh computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later
iTunes 7 or later(4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The new nanos do need itunes 7. I was sat at the genius bar last night waiting for a repair job, and three or four people came in asking why their new nano didn't work and it just turned out that they were using itunes 6. Seems to be common, but it's more a problem with people's unwillingness to upgrade than with the actual kit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.