Macbook for business use?

B

boston61401

I just graduated from college, and I am looking for a laptop that will give me the tools for my job search as well as performing the duties for the job that I find. I am currently looking for positions in finance and consulting.

Do you think that the macbook would be a poor choice? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Also, I chose the macbook because I felt like it would give me very solid specs. with a very sleak look at a good price. In particular, the 2.0 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor with 2GB memory and a 120 GB Hard drive seems to be a very good value for the price of the macbook. Other laptops with similar specs. and sleak looks such as the sony sz series seems to provide the same specs. but for well over the macbook's price.

I suppose my main worry is compatability issues for my particular use of the laptop as well as the missing express card slot.

Your Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Macbook should be fine. It's hard to tell for sure though if you don't know what types of applications you're going to need to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Since you said you're on a job search, the key thing to know is that the majority of employers out there (at least my employer and most of the ones I know of) expect to receive your resume in Microsoft Word format. For that reason, you'll need to have an application that writes in MS Word (which could be Microsoft Office: Mac or any of the other applications that are mentioned in these forums).

The rest depends on your profession. Many attorneys rely on WordPerfect, which is not available for the Mac. Many architects and designers use CAD/CAM programs that aren't available for the Mac. You'll need to be a little more specific about what you plan to do with your new computer.

Good luck!

OP
B

boston61401

Thanks for your responses so far. As I said previously, I will be working in finance or consulting. I can't say for sure what programs that I will be using, but I would imagine that I will be using some statistics software, word processing software, and presentation software. I know that many of these programs are windows based, but could be used via bootcamp or parallels. I am concerned about using a great deal of windows software on a mac. I feel like it may be a better idea to simply go with a pc, but I have yet to find a laptop that has the same specs. and sleak look that the macbook offers for the price of the macbook. I would be willing to increase my expenses slightly, if I could find the right laptop out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well Office is on the Mac as well as Keynote and Pages. So far the only thing you mentioned that you may need on Windows would be the stats program depending on what it is.

Reaction score
I have been using my MacBook as my primary computer for teaching for the last 2 months. I am using NeoOffice and keynote to do spreacheets, wordprocessing, and presentations (keynote). I haven't missed a beat. I switched from a Thinkpad (it died) and was concerned about the Apple's ability to be a business partner...but, it has done very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.