Viewing pics?

Reaction score
I tried doing a search before posting this, but I could not find an exact answer...
You know on a PC if you put a bunch of pics in a folder, when you click on a pic it opens up the picture viewer thingy where you can click the arrows and go through all the pics in the folder? (I hope this makes sense). Well how can you do that on a mac? Like how can go through all my pics in a folder? Cause now when I click on one it opens in preview and I can only see one at a time...

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sounds like you mean 'filmstrip' view.

afaik osx/finder doesn't do this natively in the same way wondows does it. though you can choose the third of the three views you can select at the top, and that kind of works the same. not sure about iphoto, since i find it too "bossy" for my tastes, but it may have a similar function. there are also a few decent third party programs that do this ok.
Xee, for example allows a nice browsing function by just allowing you to go back and forth through a folder in the same way windows preview program does.
Image Plus and Adobe Bridge offer some nice functionality in this regard, though at a cost.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, rereading - it seems you do mean the windows preview "windows picture and fax viewer".

Xee will do this perfectly - i use it all the time...
look here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29046

or if that doesn't work google "Xee mac"

[edit]by the way, once you download, you need to go to preferences and make sure it will open the picture types you want by default, most likely just .jpg/.jpeg, .gif, .bmp, .png, etc[edit]

Reaction score
Click command-A to select all images in the folder. Hover cursor over one of the images, right-click (or command-click, I believe) and select "slideshow".

I think that's what you want, isn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can also select all (Command + A) and select Open with > Preview.app from the Right click window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you select all the images you want to open, double-click any one of them, and it will open them all in Preview with a "drawer" on the side showing you all your images and you can go through them all from there.

EDIT: This is what it will look similar to:

picture1kl8.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
xee is just the ticket! I have been looking for a program like this since I switched to Mac about 5 months ago. To date, I have been using open source X11-based programs to achieve this functionality, particularly the ability to open any single picture in a folder of pictures and then simply go forward or backward to other pictures at will. It is GREAT to find a native OS X app that does this. Thanks eric.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
glad i could help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, my initial enthusiasm may have got the better of me. It appears that xee scales all images to fit the screen as its default behavior. Although you can resize the image to full size manually, I haven't found any way to have xee do this by default - have all images viewed at 100% "zoom" as the default.

Do any of you xee users out there know how to do this? None of the preferences seem to set a default zoom. Does anyone know how to set the default zoom to 100%? Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
got it.

view > automatic zoom
you can toggle shrink to fit off (seems like default is on).

you know you can also [apple]+left or right arrow to scroll through pics instead of using the arrows on the app itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Eric. Actually, it is even easier than [apple] +left/right arrow. You can just use the page up / page down keys to move from picture to picture.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
doesn't seem to work on my macbook - probably the truncated key allotment compred to the fullsize you most likely use on the g5.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!
I just downloaded Xee and I think I'm going to be happy with it. But, how can I make it be the default picture viewer for all my pics? Cause when I click on a pic it still opens with preview.

M

MacHeadCase

Click command-A to select all images in the folder. Hover cursor over one of the images, right-click (or command-click, I believe) and select "slideshow".

I think that's what you want, isn't it?

I'm on 10.4.8 and I use that a lot. I find it quite helpful too. It even loads RAW files (.CR2) natively. Pretty cool!

Reaction score
But, how can I make it be the default picture viewer for all my pics?

Pick a document of the file type (extension) you want to associate with a particular program (jpg, gif, png, whatever).
Right-click->Get Info->Open With
choose the app
click Change All

OP
S
Reaction score
Pick a document of the file type (extension) you want to associate with a particular program (jpg, gif, png, whatever).
Right-click->Get Info->Open With
choose the app
click Change All

I did that, but today when I opened a picture from my photobooth folder, it opened with preview! :/

Help?

Reaction score
Did you open the file from inside the application (photobooth)? That might be hard-wired into the program or an option you have to change within the program itself.

Also, was the image the same file type (extension, like .jpg or .gif) as the one you changed globally? You need to set the default for each separate extension.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.