Ideas for accessing old Mac disks, zip, etc?

Reaction score
All I have from my Performa 460 is a number of 3 1/2 floppy disks and one or zip disk where I just copied the contents of the Mac HD over to the zip Disk. I mostly want the data on the disks and the old emails from Outook express for the Mac.

I am wondering about the best way to access that info? Should I get a mini Mac, or try any of the Mac on PC emulators, or is there a Mac file system to PC file system convertor out there?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You're trying to access Mac files on a Win system?

OP
R
Reaction score
I should add, most of what I want is Word documents, Outlooks express emails, ect, but all in Mac Classic OS format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I guess another important question is where are you going to get the hardware to read the disk?

OP
R
Reaction score
I have the zip disk HW, but now Mac floppy, I understand many emualtor programs allow a PC floppy to read Mac disks.

I just remembered that I actually have a lot of text documents created by MacWrite, and a Delrina Fax program.

Since this was all done on the classic OS, I am thinking the best way to access this data is to get a $40 to $60 PowerPC or G3 off of ebay. That would probably be the simplest way.

OP
R
Reaction score
Wait a second, as I recall, it was possible to run a Mac from a zip disk with the operating system on it? I am pretty sure I did it, then I might be able to get what is left of my performa going once more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.