Can't put songs purchased on iPod onto iPod

S

Sporanzo

I've only just got my iPod recently, last night I purchased a song from the music store (too embarassing to mention what!) but my iPod would add it, saying something like 'I cannot put it onto this computer'. I read somewhere it's probably that I've used my 'quota' of computers I've used my iTunes account on (5) and that it classes the iPod as a computer.

So apparently I have to de-authorise one of the computers. Problem is, two of them are at my old place of work, one is my girlfriend's computer which isn't online at the moment, and I can't even remember what the other is!

I only seem to have the option of de-authorising the computer I am on, not other ones. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
You can deauthorize all computers, somewhere in the iTunes options. That I'm sure of. Where the option is, I can't remember. That shouldn't be an issue though. Weirdness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If an iPod is registered to you, you can put the music on the iPod.

The 5-computer quota for iTunes doesn't relate to iPods in any way. (I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops authorized, and have 3 iPods on top of that, so 8 'devices' total)

IIRC, deauthorizing all 5 of the computers only appears as an option when you attempt to authorize your 6th.

As for what is causing that error, I'm really not sure, but I don't think authorization has anything to do with it, unless you registered the iPod under a different email address than the iTunes acct.

Reaction score
I had this problem recently. You might have purchased songs from the iTunes store using different accounts - different email addresses, passwords.

Click on one of the songs that won't play. If an old email address is in the ID box, you need to change the password for that account. If you can't remember it, you can answer the questions you provided when setting up the account.

Give this account a new password.

Try to play one of the "unauthorized" songs. Type in the new password.

Bingo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I've only just got my iPod recently, last night I purchased a song from the music store (too embarassing to mention what!) but my iPod would add it, saying something like 'I cannot put it onto this computer'. I read somewhere it's probably that I've used my 'quota' of computers I've used my iTunes account on (5) and that it classes the iPod as a computer.

So apparently I have to de-authorise one of the computers. Problem is, two of them are at my old place of work, one is my girlfriend's computer which isn't online at the moment, and I can't even remember what the other is!

I only seem to have the option of de-authorising the computer I am on, not other ones. Any ideas?

does this link offer any help?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303854

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.