Memory upgrade problem..Help!!!!

C

chubzgsxr

Hi everyone. I Purchased my macbook 2 months ago and I am loving it so far. My macbook is the 2ghz intel core duo (black 13 inch). I have the factory 512mb in it. I decieded to upgrade the memory to 2GB to make it run a little smoother. I wached a video online on how to do it, so i gave it a shot. I did everything like it showed in the video. Everything worked great for the first 10-15 minutes and then shuts down and starts to beep??? I dont think it is an issue of me not putting the memory in correctly because everything worked without any problems. I even tried to switch the memory cards around , but that didnt help either. I personally think the memory cards are faulty??? Or did i purchase the wrong cards
this is the number on the card

VPM667NS005/1GB/K
owc5300DDR2S1GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like faulty ram.

Try the hardware diagnostic test: insert the first DVD that came with your macbook and hold down 'D' to run the tests.

Run the extended memory tests.

OP
C

chubzgsxr

what if i do not have the DVD that came with the macbook ?? Also am i suppose to run the DVD with the new memory installed ? I am really not to good with things like this

OP
C

chubzgsxr

OK I found the dvd. I did exactly what was said . First I ran the quick test and no issues were found. Then i ran the extended test and a memory issue was found. When the issue was found my computer began flickering and an error message poped up telling me to restart my computer by holding down the power button. Right now i have the old memory in just to get by. Whats next ?

OP
C

chubzgsxr

I just sent back the old memory because i belive it is faulty. I just hope the new memory works. Is faulty memory even common???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not that common, but not unheard of either.

Send it back and ask for a replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.