Should I worry when the fan kicks in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Intel C2D 2GB RAM 120GB Hard Drive
Hey ya, so this is my first Mac and my first laptop:(
So concerning the fan... should I let the computer cool done when it starts? or is it still safe to use it? and sometimes, when I use a certin application, the fan kicks in, so Im guessing it's making the computer work harder...so should I stay away from such applications?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You have nothing to worry about. The computer is functioning the way it was intended to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
As D3v1l80Y said, this is normal. What is strange about the macbook, compared to other notebook computers, is that it will increase fan speed if the CPU usage increases, even if the temperature hasn't started rising yet. This is to prevent it getting hot in the first place. So, if you're running a 3D game or encoding a DVD with iDVD or something, the fans will come on even if the processor is still at 'nominal' temperatures.

Nothing to worry about at all :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
technically, you should worry if the fan doesn't kick in. ;)

OP
locoender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, okay thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
I run smcfancontrol and set the minimum fan speed to 3500, this helps keep it cool all the time without getting warm at idle/light usage.

OP
locoender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is it safe running smcfancontrol at 3500 all the time? or just once in awhile?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is nothing wrong with it. worst scenario the fan will die faster...but if its having to go from 1000 to 6000+ all the time then it might in fact extend the life a hair. either way, a 3500 minimum run speed is only helping your system.

OP
locoender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how many fans does the MacBook have? smcfancontrol has the option to control 2 fans,but i can only move one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbooks only have one fan, located somewhere beneath the 8/u/j keys (approximately - if somebody has accurate measurements let me know) that blows out of the vent under the screen. Don't worry about the other fan - that's for MBP users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
So what I hear spinning up every now and then is the fan? I thought it was the cdrom...

t

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
So what I hear spinning up every now and then is the fan? I thought it was the cdrom...
Your CD-ROM shouldn't spin up without a disc in there.

OP
locoender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbooks only have one fan, located somewhere beneath the 8/u/j keys (approximately - if somebody has accurate measurements let me know) that blows out of the vent under the screen. Don't worry about the other fan - that's for MBP users.

Thanks for clearing that up, got worried for a sec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"

t

The CD/DVD drive is not "spinning up": sometimes it will make a noise when the machine initializes.

This happens for me when I open the MacBook after it's been asleep or when I fire up Parallels. I was told by a guy at the Genius Bar this was normal, and he demonstrated on a store unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the optical drive should only make a sound at power up, wake from sleep or if there is a disk in it. The constant quiet hum that occasionally gets louder is the fan.

Reaction score
I just got a new MacBook last Friday (my first ever Apple) and I heard something similar to the DVD drive spinning up while I was surfing the Web, although there was no vibration from the case. The noise started off low in pitch and volume, but then got progressively louder and higher (like a plane taking off), before spinning back down to almost silence. Not having heard a MacBook cooling fan before, is this what it was?

PS. I did pop a disc in the DVD drive later, and the noise made was different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got a new MacBook last Friday (my first ever Apple) and I heard something similar to the DVD drive spinning up while I was surfing the Web, although there was no vibration from the case. The noise started off low in pitch and volume, but then got progressively louder and higher (like a plane taking off), before spinning back down to almost silence. Not having heard a MacBook cooling fan before, is this what it was?

PS. I did pop a disc in the DVD drive later, and the noise made was different.

Yes, that was the fan.
With smcfancontrol you can watch the rpms rise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.