Why is .Mac so expensive???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Compared to other services, that is. I know all about how it's integrated well with the computers, but just compared to all other services, space, and so forth . . .why???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Because Apple chooses to price it at that level. It must be worth it to enough people for Apple to keep the price where it is.

I have .Mac and have had it for years. To me it's worth it. Value is all in the eye of the beholder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
.mac

.mac is a way of life would'nt be without it now

all in all its good value especially if you take advantage of all it offers

mac users. look out for deals on boxed retail versions on the net good

way of cost cutting:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Why is .mac so expensive???...because its over priced!! Its very nice how easy it is to sync and I like the seemless intergration between my mac and the .mac service. I like it a lot but shelling out 100 clams a year for the service seems like we should be getting more storage and a better overall mail app. with more options.
However; I understand Leopard is going to revamp mail. So that could possibly take care of my minor gripe about options. I was also told that .mac comes with support, although I'm yet to use it. You can increase your storage for a price which I'm not sure how much it is. But the clincher has gotta be the @mac.com at the end of your name. You know you're sitting on the fence trying to figure out do you really wanna dig in that pocket just for a sporty email address. Well I'm with ya pal, I've got 35 days left to decide. How many days do you have left. Did you know there's a free trial, what am I saying, of course you do and are probably in the same boat as i. Well sense we're in the same boat you may wanna check this out.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-4-0-Online-Service/dp/B0007LW230/sr=8-1/qid=1164247910/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9609049-2008123?ie=UTF8&s=software

Cheers;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I did the free trial, I like the services, they work well with me. Do I think it's worth it? Yes and no. The cost is fairly steep ($140 CDN), but the quality of the services, and of course, the @mac.com email is great. I do think it is over-priced, but would most likely still pay for it. Check out eBay, you can usually find cheap .Mac memberships for around $50 CDN. My trial just expired, so once I start the new job, I'm purchasing one for way cheaper.

Reaction score
It took me nearly thru my entire trial before I finally decided to go with it. I am glad I did - the $100 per year doesn't bother me.

Reaction score
If you take the trial but opt not to sign up, you get to keep your @mac.com email address for your iChat account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you take the trial but opt not to sign up, you get to keep your @mac.com email address for free!

Are you sure? After mine expired, I couldn't login to it. I can still use my @mac.com address for MSN, because it's signed up through the .NET passport system, but that's it. I'm going to try it again and see if I can login. That's the main feature I wanted from .Mac

EDIT: Just tried it several times, keeps giving me "Invalid member name or password." I've tried using "punkr0x0r" and "[email protected]" as the member names, and 2 possible passwords. Nothing.

EDIT 2: Just changed the password for it, went to login, and BAM... "We're Sorry...The feature that you are trying to access is available
for full .Mac members only."

So I don't know how you did it... I signed up for it like 6 months ago almost.

M

MacHeadCase

I've had a .Mac account since that service was created. At first it was free (guess Apple was beta testing it :girl: ) then they decided to charge for it but I kept mine.

I just like it and find it's worth it. Seamless, drag and drop instead of ftp-ing my stuff, syncing is easy, etc.. I renew each year and, as long as I can, I will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you take the trial but opt not to sign up, you get to keep your @mac.com email address for free!

That's not completely true. Yes, you retain the e-mail, but can't use it unless you pay ;).

The only thing you can still use it for I believe is iChat, not actual e-mail. Oh and you can keep it as your AppleID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Why is .Mac so expensive? Because it can be.

Because Apple has been able to get traction at that price. They have taken the value based pricing approach, as opposed to a cost based pricing approach. As long as enough people find value at that price and continue to pay, it will stay at that price. Personally, I don't find value at that price and decided not to take it. But I keep watching. If they increase the storage or decrease the price, or Leopard adds more to the package, I may yet bite. I have to admit that it is a nice package of stuff. But at this time, I am not willing to pay $100 a year for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
100 bucks is too much and I hope we as consumers voicing or opinon and suggesting lower cost it'll make a difference. I know we all like the seemless operation but I personally feel we can do better than $100. Heres a link to amazon where we can get the same deal but for 69.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-4-0-...TF8&s=software

Gobble Gobble!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have .mac and will continue to use it for as long as I have a mac, which will be forever. I am thinking about even upgrading and getting more space. I sync my computer with .mac every night and its worth it to me. As schweb said, value is is the eye of the beholder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't see $8.25/month as all that expensive, and that is what $99/year breaks down to. No, I don't have .Mac.

Reaction score
It's all about supply and demand... Apple's cost for running those servers might be pretty high, and .mac seems good enough to attract such demand with this price.

For what you get, I feel it's a feasable luxury.

Reaction score
Surely it's more use if you're mobile, right? Although maybe be able to have your email and website on .mac, along with the sync features, might be worthwhile. I've just signed up for the trial, and I'm clicking around but would like to see something that really grabs me about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest I barely use any of the .Mac features. I don't use the e-mail, I don't host my site there, and I don't use iWeb, iPhoto, or any other iLife app with it.

I mainly use it for syncing my iMac and Macbook and use Backup. That and the occasional discounts they offer on various products makes it worth it to me. Could I do syncing another way? Sure, but not as seamlessly or easily.

Reaction score
I don't think it is all that high in comparison to what you get... I have email, i have a podcast, i have a web site, plus all the other features that they offer. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I just don't have enough things going on to really take advantage of the whole enchilada. It seems like it is not that expensive if you consider the 8.25 a month deal but as compared to free it seems a bit taxed. But hey, I don't know any easier way to get everything synced and do web and podcast stuff. So i'm more than likely going to shell out. My trial is up 2 days after santa comes to town so maybe I'll ask him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can buy the boxed version today from Apple for $68.00. If you're thinking of picking up .Mac, I'd jump on that since it's 30% less than it normally is.

I'm even picking one up for my renewal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.