DVD Burned On Windows, Can't Read on my Mac, any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core Duo
My friend gave me a home movie he burned on his PC. When I put it in my powerbook it says it can't read and asks to initialize? Is there some software out there that will allow me to read it. I thought mac's didnt have this issue anymore. 10.4.8, 12" powerbook 1.5

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Does the DVD work in a home DVD player? Because the problem may not be your PowerBook, it could be the DVD itself.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core Duo
Does the DVD work in a home DVD player? Because the problem may not be your PowerBook, it could be the DVD itself.

I don't have a home dvd so I don't know. It worked on my friends though i think. Thanx

Reaction score
It's worth verifying that your friend has actually tested the DVD prior to sending it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
If its a superdrive powerbook and the DVD is a DVD+RW it probably wont work. I just posted the same thing yesterday and neither my Powerbook G4 nor my brand new out of the box iMac will read my home movies burned to DVD+RW discs, although they play fine on my home dvd players and even in my old iBook G4 with the combo drive. Both my macs with superdrive want to bring upn Toast thinking they are blank discs when I put them into either machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core Duo
If its a superdrive powerbook and the DVD is a DVD+RW it probably wont work. I just posted the same thing yesterday and neither my Powerbook G4 nor my brand new out of the box iMac will read my home movies burned to DVD+RW discs, although they play fine on my home dvd players and even in my old iBook G4 with the combo drive. Both my macs with superdrive want to bring upn Toast thinking they are blank discs when I put them into either machine.
Well thats lame, I didnt really even want to watch it I just wanted to make copies, I wonder if I could find a way do just do that? I guess not if it thinks it's a blank disk though.

Reaction score
I think it is something to do with DVD itself not with mac or windows
I had the same problem. Once i burned a movie with TDK DVD in my Mac
Now only my Mac can read it, it doesnt work on windows
because when i insert it in windows ( i have DVD-R on win.), it says there is no disk.
After that i copied movies on JVC & on PC line DVDs & they r working fine in Windows as well as on Mac
I havent tried it on other way round ( burn in windows & play in Mac 'cause i dont have DVD-RW on my windows.

So what i suggest is to try only on pc line & Jvc dvds

LOL: I think i have to ask them(JVCs etc) for commission cause it sounds like advertisement Ha..ha..ha

G

giulia_grimaldi

Hey,
I'm a new mac user: I just got the new macbook 2 GHZ; it has the 6x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW). I wanted to watch a DVD my friend burned for me on his PC, but didn't manage. Its a +R DVD and it DVD works (i tried it on my home player). My macbook opens it, and it even launches DVD player, but it then says that it doesn't support the format. I treid to open it with real player, divx player and quicktime. But they all say the same thing... :-(
I also tried with other burned dvds but its the same thing...
Is there a Power DVD equivalent for mac? Is there any way I can watch burned dvds?

THANKS FOR UR HELP!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.