Mac Classic Software

A

axpen

Is it just me or is there a surprisingly low amount of Mac Classic (OS 7.x/8.x/9.x) programs? I have noticed that very little documentation on coding Mac classic, let alone free GPL compilers! If GNU GCC exists for powerpc I apologize for the remark, but how could it with Mac classic having no CommandLineInterface. Anywho I was just wondering if there is a place to get Mac zipping utilities, and yes I know about Mac GZIP, but something that works a bit better. Also Mac classic coding documentation, tools, reference and discussion forums. I used to mess with Real BASIC back in the days, but now that C is my mainstay I was looking for some GPL'd C compiler, I also know about MetroWerks CodeWarrior 6 for Mac classic, but the lack of public availability for purchase and the price tag it carries even when a copy surfaces on ebay makes it less than appealing. I wish there we like an Xcode for Mac OS 9.2.2 or 8.6 that I could use for free, I realize development for such an OS is not wise considering Apple has appearantly poured all devotion to OS X and left Classic as an orphan, but it would be nice to be able to make my own zippers and the likes for legacy support. Anywho all help and replies are very much appriciated, Alex.

OP
R

ravenloft

That about sums it up. Classic is pretty much gone. You can pick up a mac capabile of running OS X on craigslist usually pretty cheap. My suggestion is to get OS 10.3/10.4. You can then use gcc.

There's just not that much incentive for people to develop on an old platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.