Mail: delete messages from server on POP3 account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
How can I set Mail to delete messages from the server when I delete them from my Inbox? There was an option to do this in Thunderbird but I can't find it in Mail. If you go to the Advanced settings for the account there are some options for deleting message on the server - I tried this When moved from Inbox option but that didn't work. Also, there is no Deleted Items folder on the left - how can I add this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
In Mail, go to:

Preferences -> Accounts

Highlight the account you want to modify; then go to:

Advanced

and make sure "Remove copy from Server" is checked.

If this still doesn't work, make sure you have a similar option checked on your email server: some services (gmail in particular) require that you specify that messages get removed once they're picked up.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
In Mail, go to:

Preferences -> Accounts

Highlight the account you want to modify; then go to:

Advanced

and make sure "Remove copy from Server" is checked.

If this still doesn't work, make sure you have a similar option checked on your email server: some services (gmail in particular) require that you specify that messages get removed once they're picked up.

Good luck!

I've done the first bit but the only way I can get it deleted from the server is to go into mailzone and delete it there.

I never had this problem when I used Thunderbird on a PC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then you should contact your ISP mail provider. It works exactly the way described above, however, some mail providers (Gmail) don't always honor certain mail options. Note also, if you have your mail account set to IMAP rather than POP3, it will not work.

Since you mentioned Thunderbird, there is also a version for the Mac which works very well both as a mail client and news reader.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.