Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome thefarpavillions, plusfortyfour, and spidoman!

good luck with your new macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'm surprised I haven't made it to this thread yet... I'm a bit of a post *****.. :bushman:

I think what I love most about my Mac is how efficient some things (though not all things) are when compared to a PC. It really amuses me to use my Mac on the same desk, side-by-side with my PC, because I am gradually getting used to the way the Mac does things, and I'm making my PC do things the Mac way where applicable. I thought it was going to be the other way around, but instead I'm just getting good information to write tutorials on, to help switchers that may be trying to do things the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro
I love how easily everything works on my mac... I have a MacBook Pro 15", 2.33ghz.

Everything is so smooth, and I can do so much more than my old machine, but I think that's because my old machine was a piece of junk.

Reguardless, OS X is so sleek and sexy. I love how everything looks like it belongs for the mac, where in Windows all the programs all had their own unique and non-conformist look. In OSX, everything matches -- that's something I really like :)

In case no one has discovered it yet, Virtue is THE COOLEST application ever. It's like XGL for SuSE Linux and the new Multi-window thing for Leopard. I absolutely love it.

Not having a right-click is stupid, I think, and I really don't know why Macs STILL don't come with it, but the solution my macbook has for it is pretty nifty.

This is, I believe, the coolest computer ever :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so you've discovered the two-finger tap?

i love that. the big touchpad, the two-finger-tap and the two-finger universal scroll add so much to the experience, i dig it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
it's best not to misspell words if you're picking on others'. ;)

His post is fine. He wrote realised the British way. Us Americans spell it realized. :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
What I like best about mac, is that it's not a windows p.c.!
Apple is the one true OS and I pledge my devotion and fanatical allegiance.
All hale the father steve jobs!
Now I must go. I have soiled my jeans and black turtle neck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
The thing I don't miss is not having to waste hours of my time doing spyware scans and virus scans.

And the one thing I like most is how it just works. It really surprised me. I have had problems connecting my printer and my camera to my PC even though I installed the correct drivers from the CD and checked for any updates, on the Mac I just plugged both straight into the USB slots and both worked great. It instantly recognised my wireless network asked me for the key typed it in and I was on the internet. Setting up networking with my Windows PCs was easy, wish I could say the same about the Windows PCs. It's also good to know that when I try an access my Mac over the network from one of my Windows PCs it asks me to put in my Mac password. Windows requires you to setup all these complicated file permissions which can only be fully accessed if you have XP Pro.

So all in all it saves me a lot of time with the boot times, no need for anti-virus all the time, added to the fact things just work I have many more hours to waste now doing other things, like keeping my PC running smoothly...it would drive me mad having a Windows laptop as well as a Windows desktop.

If I had the cash I would seriously consider upgrading to an iMac, however, the cheaper option is upgrading my existing desktop by putting a second hard disc drive in there and adding another 1GB of RAM. I am contemplating having XP, possibly upgrading to Vista and then putting Ubuntu Linux on the second drive, the I will have the best of all 3 worlds. I would do it on my Mac with boot camp or parallels, but 80GB of hard disc space is severely lacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Well, I'm still getting used to my MBP - I love it - every day I find more cool features. I did install parallels because of the need to use IE for work - and it's ironic that I have to restart at least one windows program every time. I have to chuckle - so glad I switched. I just wish I could use my MBP exclusively for work. I have an XP desktop at the office. blah.

The one thing I'm still considering is whether or not to install bootcamp as well. When I'm doing serious work it's distracting to work in parallels - it's a VM, and I'm using windows to connect to my work desktop remotely - and from there another remote desktop (yes, it's complicated) - so I'll have three VM's running along with OS/X. I get confused sometimes as to where I am - but maybe it will just take some getting used to.

That was a tangent - sorry.

I love spotlight, I love the doc, I love the simplicity and the feel of the keyboard. I just love everything. :)

Reaction score
it's best not to misspell words if you're picking on others'. ;)

I wasn't "picking" on him mate, it was some light-hearted humour!. You can't even make a joke, without someone taking it to heart. Oh, and in all my 31 years of living in the UK - all my life - I never used a "z" in realise. It's a matter of geographical preference I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I'm pretty sure Eric was joking too...

Go on, give him a hug!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's why we need better smileys. the wink: ;) just doesn't cut it. or unlokia is missing a bit of classic dry wit.

;) < that is another wink. really.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Favorite thing about my MBP is the ability to take it with me for my morning constitutional. :biohazard

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my wife yelled at me for doing that once. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
i love the ease of drag and drop.

oh and when i plugged my camera into usb and iphoto just opened and asked me if i wanted to import right away, i basically crapped myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.