Virtual Desktop? YouTube video

S

sammcgizzy

Hey I just switched to Mac this month with a macbook pro 15. I saw a cool video on youtube where some kid has his screen flip and there was another desktop with different aplications running on it. He could than flip it again and go to yet another desktop and have a few more aps running. Anybody know how he did this? The video was posted months ago. Check it out if you are wondering... search youtube for "Inside the MacBook Pro"

Amazing stuff...if anyone knows how this i posible, please clue me in or send me a private message.

Many thanks

Sam

Reaction score
This could have been fast user switching....(see image)..don't know for sure. FUS is absolutely awesome to behold for the 1st time! If you have more than one User Account and you have Fast User Switching enabled in the Login Options then all you need to to flip the screen is to go to the top right of the Desktop and click on one of three options that may be showing there in the menu:

Your Name
Your Short Name
An Icon

When you click on it there will be a pull-down menu where you can select to switch to another User Account.

Was this the video you watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLsVMTDlWA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
screen flip and there was another desktop with different aplications running on it.
It looks like a virtual screen tool. In Linux and Unix this is common. The idea is you have one or more screens that are not visible until you want to use the application you have placed there. Leopard will have this feature natively when it is released in 07'. Apple calls theirs Spaces.

Reaction score
I downloaded a FireFox extension which has this same feature....but do the desktops 'flip' when they change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Hi,

I use Virtue Desktops

I love it - its amazing! I have it on cube and have a bout 7 desktops for when I'm working on my MPB. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it working and there are some tricks like the first time you click on an open program icon in the dock the screen may not change - just click the desktop and then click the icon again.

AD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Adam is right, that is also the app used in the youtube video (at least the ones I saw).

It's really amazing in combination with parallels (another app that lets you run windows under os x), just hit a keystroke and you rotate over to your full-screen windows xp desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
It's really amazing in combination with parallels (another app that lets you run windows under os x), just hit a keystroke and you rotate over to your full-screen windows xp desktop.

Now there's a thought! Might have to try that one out!

ARC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 200gb macbook pro, 13" macbook
so wait, if you download parallels, you get the microsoft xp included with the download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
so wait, if you download parallels, you get the microsoft xp included with the download?

Not exactly, no. You have to supply your own copy of Windows XP. However, I read a Digg article recently that Microsoft is providing a Parallels image of Windows XP SP2 free of charge. Problem is that it expires sometime in April

Edit: Found the article

I love running a copy of Parallels on a separate desktop with VirtueDesktops. There's this huge "wow factor" from people when I switch from using Mac OS X to Windows with a simple push of a button. Granted, I don't have it running all the time as I really don't have much use for Windows on my Mac except for maybe Office, but even then, it's rare that I need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
is it possible it was someone running a beta of leopard and it was spaces?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.