Macbook clicking noise when inserting discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
I just recently had my macbook C2D replaced because of some hardware defects. My new one however makes a series of really loud clicking noises when you insert a disc. The sound reminds me of when you tighten your gas cap on your car and when youve turned enough it clicks or like when you over tighten to the point of stripping. sounds like something inside the drive is too tight or something. I know my first "book" did not make this noise. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reaction score
G'day nickdj,

I hope you don't have too far to travel 'cos I'm going to advise you to return and have the techs take a look at your MacBook.

Reaction score
My first CD MBP did this too...Then when I upgraded to my C2D MBP it still did it just not as loud, then I had to have the C2D replaced for hardware issues and it makes the same noise you are describing. The drive still works fine and I have not encountered any issues, so I'm assuming its normal?

M

meek_rm

Whoops...I just noticed your topic as soon as I posted mine concerning what sounds like the same issue.

I just bought the newly released core duo 2.0 macbook. I agree with you when you insert a disc, it is quite loud...compared to other auto loading drives that I have used (e.g. car stereos, Bose drives etc.). When you're in a quite room, it is startling.

It seems to work fine though. I'm going to go back to the apple store and "test" out CDs loading on their demo models...and I will report back.

M

meek_rm

Went back to the Apple Store with a music cd to check out the loading mechanism. I've got both good news and bad news.

Bad news first: they all make the loud clunking noise when a cd is loading - a little disconcerting really.
Good news: it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the drive.

Fortunately, I purchased the Apple Care extended warranty, so in the end, it really isn't an issue for me.

End of report.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
My C2D macbook does the same thing. It works fine though so I hope its normal. Thanks for the report meek_rm! :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
I also took mine back the Apple store. It turns out mine was doing some very abnormal "clicking", and was actually scratching my discs. Apple was very good about exchanging my macbook without question, I am however concerned with the quality control of these notebooks. My first "book" had a faulty connection which caused the isight camera not to function. Second one froze up everytime i turned it on. Third one had numerous dead pixels along with major gaps in casing. When I brought in the fourth one they thought i must have thought i was crazy, but then the mgr stuck one of his discs in and it ate it up. Fifth one seems to be ok (sigh of relief). If I was working at Apple I would have dreaded seeing my face in there all the time. Luckily I was able to duplicate these problems when i brought it into apple and they were even apologetic. I was very close to just getting my money back when i brought it in the last time but the mgr told me i was just getting really unlucky (even made a joke that they werent getting many returns because i was getting all the defective ones). LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.