Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess where I'm coming from is hearing things like "Windows sucks and you get viruses and it always needs patches and updates after after it's released, but Macs rock and are completely stable and Apple doesn't let anything out the door until it's perfect" Then I get a MAc and get on this forum and hear "isight is not working, fan is not working, my Mac keeps going to sleep for no reason" and so on.

I guess I just feel it's not living up to the hype. Maybe there's just too many fanboys out there making a bad name for the realistic useres.

And, no, I haven't had a problem so far, but I haven't really had time to use it for much more than going online. Actually, I have been having a problem with my wrieless mouse connecting when I want to use it and I'm going to stop by the Apple store next chance I get.

But I have also owned several Windows PCs; one of them was an Alienware brand I've had for 4 years and the only problem I've had was the power supply failed this year, but I opted for the cheap one when I had it built, so I can't complain.

I would say one benefit I miss from Windows is that any time I thought of something I wanted to do and wondered if there was a program made for that particular function, I could go online and find some software company who had also though of it and had a program made!! That was a great feeling. Also having all the games was fun to, but don't get into that much any more.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and I've onyl had the "blue screen of death" when I did something stupid and I've never, ever had a virus, adware, or any other malicious software in 10 years of using PCs. You can send that fact to "Ripley's Believe it or Not" if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I guess where I'm coming from is hearing things like "Windows sucks and you get viruses and it always needs patches and updates after after it's released, but Macs rock and are completely stable and Apple doesn't let anything out the door until it's perfect" Then I get a MAc and get on this forum and hear "isight is not working, fan is not working, my Mac keeps going to sleep for no reason" and so on.

Most Mac users don't have problems. However, as has been pointed out, people generally come to a forum to complain or ask for help so the view will be skewed.

Second, regardless of who the manufacturer is, we are talking about electronics and extremely complex software. To assume there will never be a problem is simply naive in my opinion. To most people the Apple experience tends to be more trouble free and "just works".

I would say one benefit I miss from Windows is that any time I thought of something I wanted to do and wondered if there was a program made for that particular function, I could go online and find some software company who had also though of it and had a program made!!

You can do that with Mac software also:
http://www.macupdate.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Oh, and I've onyl had the "blue screen of death" when I did something stupid and I've never, ever had a virus, adware, or any other malicious software in 10 years of using PCs. You can send that fact to "Ripley's Believe it or Not" if you want.

I don't think that's strange at all. I never did either. It's not about OS X being better than Windows or Windows being better than OS X. Both have strengths and weaknesses. To me, those who argue about such things and make a big deal about it either tend to be kids or very immature adults.

It's about the experience you're looking for; which provides you the best computer experience? For me, that's a Mac. I care alot about aesthetics and ease of use, I like things to work seamlessly together. Windows just isn't there yet.

If I was looking for rock-solid compatibility, an almost infinite choice of software, and had a need to play every game available, I would choose Windows.

IMHO, a computer, either Windows or OS X, will only work as well as the person using it.

Reaction score
Well, I just got my Mini today, and thus far, I am quite pleased. It took a bit of getting used to, and I'm sure it still will, but seems to be a lot easier and faster to set up than any other OS I've used.

Although, no matter how good this system is, I'm still holding onto my PC for gaming, 3d graphics work, storing things on (300GB drive for one of the OSes, compared to 60 in this), and sentimental reasons (Sort of had the thing for ~10 years now). Although, thus far, I can say that I prefer the feel of Mac over Windows, but hard to say between Linux (Fedora Core 5, mostly) and Mac.

And nowm for the usual bit after getting a mac... First post on my mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try wiping your PC and installing Win XP with no service packs, or just service pack 1. Then you'll see why Windows is so scarily bad security wise. If you've managed to keep up with updates over the last couple of years you'll be fine, which is lucky for you!

Jem

Reaction score

I guess I just feel it's not living up to the hype. Maybe there's just too many fanboys out there making a bad name for the realistic useres.

What can I say, I'm truly sorry! I'll have to go and break a bit of my Mac or write a virus for it or find an app that causes a Kernel Panic so I can sound "realistic" ... cos I, for one, certainly am not a fanboy! :eek:neye:

You even say yourself you haven't had any problems apart from a slight mouse issue that you're going to the Store about, so why are you reading forums and feeling down about something that hasn't happened... and most likely won't happen to you? Do you watch the news and worry about stepping out onto the street or just get on with life and enjoy it?

Forums like this, and the 'net in general are great for helpful information, but they're also great for over inflating problems - for example, my last car was a BMW 330d and a few owners had turbo problems; Some people worried about it so bad they sold a perfectly good car just in case something would happen to it. I kept mine and just enjoyed it and never had an issue. It's the FUD factor at work!!

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you might be missing the point. I am happy with my Mac and glad I haven't had a problem, but I'm more worried about potential problems. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about updates, but I suppose I do. Honestly, I'm not that worried since I never updated my Windows PC, and I did only have Service Pack 1!! I updated to SP2 before, but reformatted once and never updated again.

I'm not really complaining about it and will definitely keep it. I love the style and performance. I'm a realist and know not everything works perfectly all the time. I'm just complaining about all the false hype out there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Apple's patchs only happen after the release of something new or every 1-2 months not once a week with windows.

MS releases patches once a month, not "once a week." There is no need to spread disinformation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I think a large amount of Mac users over hype the Mac on the platform, I read a lot of posts on the internet saying how good it is, and how bad Windows is. Windows is reliable if you do not screw your drivers up, or do some stupid changes in some key settings, the worst that has ever gone wrong for me is a complete lock up requiring a forced restart (pull out of plug).

On the other-hand I have had no problems with my Mac since getting it, well apart from Safari occasionally locks up but thats nothing. I have found it easy to use and in many ways (apart from the finder) more intuitive than Windows, its just easier to use and makes things simpler.

Microsoft release patches once per month, Apple do so less regularly but the update process is painless and often does not require a start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think you might be missing the point. I am happy with my Mac and glad I haven't had a problem, but I'm more worried about potential problems. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about updates, but I suppose I do. Honestly, I'm not that worried since I never updated my Windows PC, and I did only have Service Pack 1!! I updated to SP2 before, but reformatted once and never updated again.

I'm not really complaining about it and will definitely keep it. I love the style and performance. I'm a realist and know not everything works perfectly all the time. I'm just complaining about all the false hype out there

This could be said about any consumer product. Do you worry that you car might break down because you read on-line that 50 people who own the same car had a problem that you have yet to experience?

Some of the Hype is false, some is not. One thing to keep in mind is that most of us longtime Mac users still live an a Windows world. I use multiple versions of Windows (2K and XP) daily at work, but still prefer a mac at home. Sure we're a minority, but why do we still stick with a Mac when we can?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I was just about to order this iMac I have when I found this forum. I too had heard the things that the original poster has written about. I started to get worried that things aren't what Apple would like you to think.

In an earlier post someone stated that this is a forum where people look for help and advice. Thus a lot of problem posts are always around.

You have to leave your PC windows thinking behind. I had a few minor irritations but only because I had to find the Apple way to do thinks I used to do.

My new iMac has purred away without a hitch since it came out of it's box a few weeks ago. So does my year old Dell 9400 laptop which my wife and kids now use. Both computers live happily together sharing the same wireless router and Printer which is what Apple said would happen

I'm happy

Reaction score
I've come to appreciate both machines - Mac and Windows - however I think the Mac has the edge.

The only things that I "migrated" and couldn't live without : Firefox, plus changing the mouse acceleration curve to match my Windows machines.

The PERFECT machine.

Jem

Reaction score
Unless I'm missing the point here cvx5832 (Hey I'll bet that's not your real name! :D) Firefox is available for the Mac so you didn't need to live without it?

I can't find it, but isn't there a utility for changing the mouse so it feels a bit more... dare I say... Windowsy? I seem to remember seeing something somewhere but can't find it now...

M

MacHeadCase

Yep. You have plenty of choice for the Mozilla family branch for Mac OS X: Camino, Firefox, etc.. You even can go with Deer Park.

As for different settings for your mouse... Don't know which mouse you are using so the settings could be with the driver or, if it is a Mighty Mouse, you find the settings in your System Preferences ---> Keyboard & Mouse ---> Mouse tab or you can try out some 3rd party mouse drivers for more control. Mouse drivers like Alessandro Levi Montalcini's USB Overdrive or SteerMouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
My 17" intel iMac is the first mac I've ever owned. And so far I have had absolutely no problems. And it is far better then my PC. :black:
Same here. MBP is my first apple, there are one or two things i dont like about it....but they are not really "problems". I am thinking about buying the 2nd gen of Mac Pro when it launches.

Reaction score
Just bumping this as it's old...and I am new MBP owner and feeling nothing but frustration and remourse. In my first few posts, I explained the problems I am having..so I won't repeat here...it's just that I really expected the PC to Mac switch to be way more easy than it's been...I guess I am not as computer savvy as I thought...it's very humbling...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
It's easier for some than others. For me, my new iMac was incredibly easy to set up and I had no remorse. :)

Reaction score
That's good to hear iRye...and I agree...the MBP 'works' right out of the box..as long as you are not trying to hook up an iPod that was formatted for Windows, use an EHD that's formatted for Windows or try to connect to the internet in a home where we don't have wireless and my verizon DSL cable won't recognize the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Wow. That must of really been disappointing! I remember when I got a wireless network installed, we didn't have a computer to use it. I remember I was really disappointed when I opened up my brand new PC with wireless and it didn't connect immediately. When I opened up my iMac, due to odd lighting, it seemed to glow. Within 2 minutes I was on the internet thanks to the setup wizard. Same with my MacBook. Mac's have always been easiest for me. My PC's have always given me hassle when doing things like the internet. In my case, I tried to connect it to the wireless and it didn't work and the same thing happened with the cable. :)

Welcome to Mac-Forums, :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.