office on intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hey there,

i did have a quick search but coudlnt find anything quite what i wanted.

my question is: when will (if there will) be a intel version of office released? i know the ppc version can run on the new intel machines but how effective is this and is there a major slow down with rosseta?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Not that I've noticed of anyway....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
For what it's worth, I have Word on my Macbook and it works like a charm. No slowdown whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
No problems with any of the Office apps on my MacBook.

Reaction score
The next version of Office for Mac is currently scheduled for autumn 2007, universal binary, with some changes to the interface. I understand that if you want to run Office:mac 2004 on an Intel Mac you need to make sure you have plenty of RAM to avoid slowdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
It doesn't run to bad on my macbook. I want to evetually buy the full program. The trial doesn't do much. But I'm going to wait for the universal one. I mostly use neo office for word processing. I haven't gotten the hang of presentation, I'd prefer powerpoint because I'm more familiar with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For what it is worth, I have Office:mac on my PowerMac G5, so it is running native, no Rosetta. It launches and runs *significantly* faster on my PowerMac G5 than on the latest 2.66 GHz Mac Pros. I just tried this the other day at the Apple store. Rosetta does have an effect for sure. The programs are still very usable, but they are slower.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
ok thanks guys

i think i will install my ppc version and then buy the intel version when it comes out

cheers :D

Reaction score
Ive seen a little bit of a slow down with office on my 2.0ghz macbook. ive got a gig of ram so there should be no reason as to why its running so slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch
I've had no problems with my office suite on my macbook pro. They also have an academic version that you can get at universities. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The next version of Office for Mac is currently scheduled for autumn 2007, universal binary, with some changes to the interface. I understand that if you want to run Office:mac 2004 on an Intel Mac you need to make sure you have plenty of RAM to avoid slowdown.

Correct. It will be dubbed, according to MS, Office Mac 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Does it really take that long, considering they've already got an x86 version completed for PC? You'd think Intel would use their influence with Microsoft to get it out ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7
i know the ppc version can run on the new intel machines but how effective is this and is there a major slow down with rosseta?

I run the PPC version on my Intel mini, and it takes a long time to load - frustrating if you just want a quick look at a Word document, but once it's loaded it runs fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Does it really take that long, considering they've already got an x86 version completed for PC? You'd think Intel would use their influence with Microsoft to get it out ASAP.

They just completed the x86 version of Office 2007, and that's what they're building Office 2008 for Mac on.

And I doubt Intel has very much influence at all over what Microsoft does. In fact, I don't think anyone has any influence over them.

I, for one, don't intend on upgrading to 2008 when it comes out. Microsoft Office (at least the Windows version) just becomes more bloated as time goes by, and Office 2004 does exactly what I need it to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.