Digital Camera Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
I just got a new Canon Digital Camera and there is Software to go with it. But do I really need to install this on my mac??

Or will iPhoto do the job fine on it's own??

Reaction score
G'day OneWorld22,

I have a Canon PowerShot A70 and I didn't install the software on my iMac as I've found that iPhoto does do a fine job of it.

You would consider installing some of the software if you want to photostitch though as iPhoto doesn't do this.

Also iPhoto isn't fantastic at letting you pick and choose which photos/movies to download each time as it basically always wants to download all the photos/movies on your cameras memory card. It does have the ability to tell you if you have already downloaded a particular photo/movie and gives you the option not to redownload it/them but if you've since deleted or relocated the photo/movie then iPhoto will redownload it/them and this can be a bit of a pain.

M

MacHeadCase

It depends which camera you got. If it's a model that allows you to shoot in RAW, I would definitely install Canon's Digital Photo Professional app in order to convert your RAW files in .tif.

OP
OneWorld22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Thanks guys..

I installed it anyway just in case, but i set iPhoto to be the default app. So if I need something that the Canon software can only provide then I can use it. iPhoto worked really well though.

I got an Ixus 900 Titanium. Really great compact digital camera, very pleased with the results so far...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.