Imac G3 Questions

Reaction score
Hey People im new Here and was hoping to get a few answers for some questions iv got

So im thinking bout buys and old imac g3 for watching videos over my home network so what im wondering does a g3 have enough grunt to watch video files on

also what kind of ram does and imac g3 use as im prolly going to want to put more in

and last but not leat how easy will it be to make it wireless network

thanks in advance people

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Which model of the iMac G3 are you talking about here? The original Bondi blue or one of the late model G3 iMacs? That will help with giving you the correct RAM type. I can't tell you for sure how a G3 iMac would play video, I believe it would do just fine. I have an Indigo G3 iMac that I haven't used in about 5-6 years but last I checked it handled video playback without a hitch. As for the wireless question, I think I've heard of wireless adapters that connect via a USB port, so maybe you can find one of those. Unless the iMac has a built in Airport card already I can't think of another way to achieve it. Get back to me on the model of the G3 iMac and I'll look up what kind of RAM it takes. :)

Reaction score
Get one of the later ones, 400MHz+.. It'll take standard off the shelf PC100 or PC133 SDRam like every PC used in the Pentium II and Pentium III days. As for wireless connectivity, you can get a USB version, or I believe I've heard of standard cat5 ethernet to wireless adapters (far faster when you're using the old USB 1.0 that the iMac's used). Or, if you don't want anything hangin out, you can get the airport card and put it inside the iMac.. It's pretty easy to install, but they're kinda expensive, at least compared to how cheap the iMac's are.. (Got mine for $20 on Ebay).. Oh, and they use a standard IDE hard drive, up to 120gigs..

OP
C
Reaction score
ok thanks do you know if the g3 333's tak sdram aswell cause thats seems to be whats readily available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Apple's website says the 333MHz iMac can max out at 128MB of RAM, so 2x 64MB SO-DIMM chips. However I read on a separate website that it maxes out at 512MB... so I can't be 100% sure.

This may be what you're looking for: iMac 333MHz memory

If it's not you can at least browse around that site and see if you can find a more suitable chipset...

OP
C
Reaction score
isnt that for laptop im talking bout desktop imac also is it possible to get a dvd drive for the ones that only have cd drives

Reaction score
Yes, Laptop ram, that's the problem with the older iMac's (that and the slower bus speed)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.