Networking help for a dummy :)

N

notechie

Yes..I'm the person they write those books for, so bear with me. Also, if this has been answered somewhere else, just post a link. I did search, but still confused.

Ok.. just bought a new 20" imac. I have an old G3 graphite. I'm still waiting for comcast to set up my cable (yes I'm still on dial-up too). So..

Can I connect the new imac to the old and connect to the internet that way until I get cable? if so, can I just use an ethernet connection between the 2 computers?

If I decide to wait, can I transfer my files from the old to new computer with firewire .. or use ethernet? I read somewhere else that if you use firewire, to start up one of the macs using command F, but I'm not sure which one I do that on. I do have most files on an external SimpleDrive. Would it be easiest to just transfer them with that?(USB connect)

I didn't have networking set up on the old mac. Can someone give me a simple explanation on how to do that..or refer me to the best place to find out.

I'm sorry, I know these are really basic, dummy questions..but I chose this user name for a real good reason :dummy:

Thanks for any help you can give me. (I have to rush off to work, so may not answer right away)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.