• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iPhoto for Videos!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Ok I've searched and searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I'm going to ask here.

Is there an iPhoto type application to import and view my videos? I don't care about editing or building dvd's (iMovie) I just want to import them and have them in a viewable window like iPhoto does for my pictures....

Anyone know of an app that will do this?

Reaction score
Ok I've searched and searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I'm going to ask here.

Is there an iPhoto type application to import and view my videos? I don't care about editing or building dvd's (iMovie) I just want to import them and have them in a viewable window like iPhoto does for my pictures....

Anyone know of an app that will do this?

Are you aware of the inbuilt feature where if you view your Movies folder in Column view and then highlight one of them, that a preview of that movie appears in the next column which you can watch. You are also able to resize this preview column by dragging on the double score at the bottom of the didvider....

I find this extremely useful for managing my home videos.

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I knew about that and I don't have a problem using that.

But still need to import them in from my dv cam.

Would still like an app to handle everything, but if I can get a free importer and view and manage them that way, then that will work.

Reaction score
I see what you mean....I can't find a standalone app but was thinking along the lines of Automator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why don't you just use iPhoto? You can import and store and sort video files using iPhoto. If you want to preview them, QuickTime Player will open a separate window to view them.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 11
OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would use iPhoto but it doesn't import from my dv cam, unless I'm missing something?

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I was told that USB wouldn't work at all.

Reaction score
When you connect your DV and launch iMovie, is your camera recognised?

I checked out iPhoto and it appears that only digital cameras are supported as per this info on Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html

While browsing iPhoto's help file I was taken to this webpage directly from a link in the help files.

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, iMovie works great. But I want to be able to manage them through something like iPhoto and not through a single file in iMovie.

J

jpetretti

as far as importing dv...you can import directly into quicktime pro. I forget how you do it, but I think it was on apple's website last week in their tips and tricks area. Or I'm sure you can just google it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.