Minor repair on a Mac

Reaction score
Just noticed the input for my microphone is broken - speakers work fine but cannot get the mic to work. Are Macs hard to repair oneself? I would guess I first need to locate the piece and then replace it, if possible, or take it to the Apple store. (or, hehe, get a new Mac!!!). I have a PowerPC QuickSilver.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Digital Audio and Quicksilver did not have a built in Mic Input. There was the Line/Speaker out and a special jack for the Apple Pro Speakers.

Did you get the quicksilver used? You can get a Griffin iMic that plugs into a USB port and then you will have a Mic and Line input. I have one and it works great.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
The Digital Audio and Quicksilver did not have a built in Mic Input. There was the Line/Speaker out and a special jack for the Apple Pro Speakers.

Did you get the quicksilver used? You can get a Griffin iMic that plugs into a USB port and then you will have a Mic and Line input. I have one and it works great.

Did not realize that - thanks for the info! Wonder why in the world they would build the Quicksilver without a mic input??!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.