Older Imac powerpc 333... Can it run OS 10? What Ram?

Reaction score
Well, actually, according to Crucial, this Imac takes 144 pin Sodimm pc133, up to 256 mb in each slot. One of my questions is: will any ram that matches the following specs work, or does it need to be "Apple Specific"?

Next, assuming I get some more ram in this machine, will it run OS X??

Also, are there any web locations where used mac parts can be purchased? I don't want to put much into upgrading this machine, but am willing to spend a little less then 100.00 to make this machine nice. Would like to be able to get some ram, possibly a larger hard drive, and if it is upgradeable, maybe a little bit speedier cpu.... Are these things do-able? I work on PC's for a living, but have not much exposure to the Mac world. I am looking to get my fingers wet though.

All help appreciated!!:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RAM is RAM, there is no such thing as "Apple Specific".
OS X should run nicely on that machine.

Reaction score
The 333 iMac can use 512mb of ram. The second slot uses a smaller stick because of space under the cpu. Check here:http://macsales.com/

If you're going to install a larger drive, be advised this is one of those macs with the 8 gig limits. You have to partition the drive so that the first one is less than 8 gig and must install the system on this first partition.

This iMac will run anything up to and including Panther 10.3.x.

Used parts and upgrades? Google is your buddy :)

Reaction score
I put 10.3 on my iMac 350, it had 360megs of ram, and I could out-type the screen for some reason.. That was most of the reason I upgraded the board to a 500..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I doubt you could run Tiger on it, since I've heard that it requires a lot more resources to run it. I had the original OS X running on my old Indigo iMac with only a 350MHz G3 processor, 7GB hard drive and 512MB of RAM. So it's feasible, you'll just have to hunt down an older version of OS X for it to work I would think.

Reaction score
True, you cant use Tiger on the 333 because it requires Firewire, which the 333 doesn't have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.