• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Have Intel Macs lost the edge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
When Macs were PPC people were always saying how they were better for graphics and video due to their architecture. Now that Macs are Intel rather than PPC have Macs lost the edge when it comes to graphics? Does Mac OSX offer nuch advantage when it comes to graphics and video compared to running XP? I'm talking design, graphics and video editing stuff. My friend asked me last night and I couldn't give him an answer . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They've lost some of the edge because in effect a year has had to be taken out for all the apps to be made Universal, or for new versions to appear.

For graphics etc., they are still the industry standard though and when Adobe CS3 appears, I expect Mac sales to leap.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
But what's giving them the edge of they both use the same kind of hardware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Windows is only just catching up with a graphical subsystem as powerful as that in OS, with a vastly higher minimum system requirement. However, the benefits of Macs for media types are more than just the graphical processing power of the machines; the whole OS is generally more suited. However, to avoid sounding like an advert, I'll just say that the underlying technologies at many layers, from the UI through to the media and system libraries, make development of media rich apps for OS X a much more pleasant experience.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks for your replies. Feel free to sound like an advert . . . so many of my friends and colleagues have snottily asked, why did you buy a Mac? The more information like this I can find out the better!

Reaction score
As I've said before, the latest Macs are in fact Premium PC's so in a sense your PC is more than likely superior in capabilities to their PC.... PC being nothing more than a Personal Computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
When Macs were PPC people were always saying how they were better for graphics and video due to their architecture

It has 0 to do with the architecture so whoever told you that was wrong. It has everything to do with the OS, not the hardware. Mac OS X still has better support for high-end graphics work than Windows. The hardware it runs on is irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies. Feel free to sound like an advert . . . so many of my friends and colleagues have snottily asked, why did you buy a Mac? The more information like this I can find out the better!

If you're looking for answers to this, I'd suggest using the search link at the top. You'll find lots of answers. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB

If they ask you again, just ask them why they put up with a PC that crashes, gets viruses and is extreamely slow. Thatll shut them hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Does Mac OSX offer nuch advantage when it comes to graphics and video compared to running XP? I'm talking design, graphics and video editing stuff.

Final Cut is still the standard in video editing. And buying a Mac is the only way to use it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Final Cut is still the standard in video editing. And buying a Mac is the only way to use it.

I just watched a couple of the Final Cut Pro videos on the Apple website - the one with David Fincher really sells it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not legally or very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.