What is the best value and Fastest IDE hard drive

E

Ewen Cameron

I have a 733 G4 Quicksilver and have just added a Radeon 9000 pro and a Giga designs 1.47mhz upgrade.

The system still has the original IBM 40gb hard drive and I would like to know what the best value for money and fastest option would be.

I have heard that the Western Digital 120gb Caviar SE with an 8mb cache is good, but I am open to suggestions and am willing to spend up to about $200 on it.

Ewen Cameron

OP
W

Wapa18

Ewen Cameron said:
I have a 733 G4 Quicksilver and have just added a Radeon 9000 pro and a Giga designs 1.47mhz upgrade.

The system still has the original IBM 40gb hard drive and I would like to know what the best value for money and fastest option would be.

I have heard that the Western Digital 120gb Caviar SE with an 8mb cache is good, but I am open to suggestions and am willing to spend up to about $200 on it.

Ewen Cameron

i just bought a Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200rpm drive around christmas, and it's been great. it only cost me $90 (after rebates) but i think the actual price was like $160. a dollar per gigabyte is really good. i'm pretty sure, though that with your system, you'd have to buy a PCI card to allow a hard drive over 120GB. if you don't get the PCI card, the drive will work, it just won't recognize the entire capacity for the drive. i think it'll only recognize up to 138GB or some weird number like that. best buy has seagate 120GB drives for $140, and i'm sure you could find it for less online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.