Want to convert-which Mac should I get?

J

Jake B

Hi guys,

As you can tell, I am new here. I want to make the switch from my Dell to a Mac Notebook. Any advice on what to get would be awesome. My uses are: Basic web surfing, word processing, some photo stuff, watching movies, and playing the occasional game. Also, I dont want to spend more then like $1500, being a poor high school student and everything;) .

Thanks!

Jake

Reaction score
G'day Jake B,

I recommend you browse the Apple website and do as much research as you possibly can.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa

The Switcher Hangout forum also has a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Finally, if you do a quick search of the forums you might find that someone before you could have asked the very same question and so there will be some advice already given on the subject.

Feel free to post back with any further questions if the above fails to help you.

Reaction score
First ask what you are replacing. If it is a desktop, go iMac. If it is a laptop, then I agree with Brian that you should go with the macbook. Just remember that the macbook has the smaller 13" screen. You should definitely check one out to make sure you are ok with it. The 20" iMac also falls in your price range. The 17" will leave you with money for any software upgrades you want to purchase.

OP
J

Jake B

I am coming from a Dell desktop, but I would like to get a laptop, if that helps.

Thanks-Jake

Reaction score
that is what i did, my macbook replaced my windows pc, althought i still have it but dont really use it all that much now. the mac is powerful enough to be a desktop replacement

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Hi guys,

As you can tell, I am new here. I want to make the switch from my Dell to a Mac Notebook. Any advice on what to get would be awesome. My uses are: Basic web surfing, word processing, some photo stuff, watching movies, and playing the occasional game. Also, I dont want to spend more then like $1500, being a poor high school student and everything;) .

Thanks!

Jake

Hi,

Most of what you want to do should be easy enough with a Mac. The photo stuff is easy because of the bundled iPhoto. Movies is easy because of Front Row. Basic web surfing too is easy, Safari is a powerful browser.

The only concern that I have is that the Mac is not designed to play games that well, and there are not that many games that are released for the Mac. It depends upon what you want to play and how often.

However don't let that put you off. All Mac's are great machines and once you have switched and used OS X you probably won't want to go back (I know that I don't).

Do loads of research and enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.