External monitor management drives me crazy

Reaction score
I really dislike the way OS X (and specifically my MacBook) handles an external monitor.

Unless I am missing something, if I want to use JUSt my external monitor, I have to plug in my monitor, close my display (putting my computer to sleep and disconnecting me from the internet), plug-in a USB device (to wake the computer), and then open the MB.

Windows got this right, with a preferences pane that lets you easily disable/enable various displays. Or more importanly, press function+F(some number) to turn off one display or the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Umm, if you just want to use your external monitor, you don't need to open the MacBook again. I'm sitting here right now with my MacBook closed on the desk in front of me as I type this.

It's just a different way of doing things: I agree, though, that other notebooks have a way of handling this that doesn't involve losing your wireless connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Umm, if you just want to use your external monitor, you don't need to open the MacBook again. I'm sitting here right now with my MacBook closed on the desk in front of me as I type this.

It's just a different way of doing things: I agree, though, that other notebooks have a way of handling this that doesn't involve losing your wireless connection.

Just figured this out today. Up till now I have plugged in the monitor and left the macbook open. This meant meant the external looked crappy. Shut the lid, hit the keyboard and bang, monitor looks right mac wakes up.

daryl

OP
M
Reaction score

But I would prefer to keep it open to have better airflow.

More importantly, as you said, again it has to go to sleep first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The airflow on the MacBook is through the vents on the back near the hinge. These remain clear whether the screen is open or closed.

The iBook vents through the keyboard; the MacBook doesn't.

I run my MacBook in closed mode for hours on end and it never gets unreasonably warm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.