Spotlight & Finder Search DISFUNCTIONAL

H

HydroMac

Hi there,

I hope someone can help, I cant search my Mac nor Maxtor External drive via spotlight or in the finder? This happens in any account. Ive tried MainMenu but it says it cant find spotlight.

Ive also tried adding the drives to the privacy tab in the spotlight system prefs, but nothing shows in the list.

Any other ideas anyone?

p.s. Should there be a app of spotlight in the utitlities folder or somewhere? I can find it anywhere? but then again, i cant search very well.....:eek:

Any help would be much appreciated...:biohazard

Hydro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have two spotlight folders in /library and users/myname/library. Are they there on yours?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope someone can help, I cant search my Mac nor Maxtor External drive via spotlight or in the finder? This happens in any account. Ive tried MainMenu but it says it cant find spotlight.

Ive also tried adding the drives to the privacy tab in the spotlight system prefs, but nothing shows in the list.

Any other ideas anyone?

p.s. Should there be a app of spotlight in the utitlities folder or somewhere? I can find it anywhere? but then again, i cant search very well.....:eek:

Any help would be much appreciated...:biohazard

Hydro

Do you have the below icon in the top right corner of your macs desktop...

OP
H

HydroMac

Thanx for the replies,

I do have the spotlight icon top right, and there is a spotlight folder in library/, but NOT in username/library/.

Can this be replaced/or re-installed?

Cheers guys :black:

OP
H

HydroMac

This is the message Mainmenu gives me when I try to rebuild the index:

Rebuilding Spotlight index

Mon Nov 20 19:40:50 GMT 2006

/:
Volume index removed. Index will be rebuilt automatically.

Spotlight index has been deleted.

In a few moments, the Spotlight menu item, located at the top right hand corner of your display, will automatically start indexing the contents of your computer.

Mon Nov 20 19:40:57 GMT 2006

Rebuild Spotlight index complete

:radioacti

I know Ive not deleted any folders :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried logging out and then logging in again?
If you have and nothing has changed, repair permissions and restart.

OP
H

HydroMac

Thanks,

Ive tried that, this has been a problem for over a year now. I have restarted many times.

Think I need to do a clean install?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.