connection issues

Reaction score
dial up with ibook

Anyone using dial up on their ibook? And is it possible to get different speeds on the same phone line but different connection spots in the house?
Reason I ask is that I'm on dial up and my emac is quite speedy staying at about 26000 (sometimes faster)bps. Yeah, I know -- not fast like DSL but it's all I can get out here. My ibook is hooked into a different phone connection box in the house (same phone line) but only stays at around 16200. right now it's at 21600 bps and it is much slower acting than my emac. I keep getting disconnected when I'm on my ibook too but hardly ever when on the desktop emac.
I keep thinking maybe a loose connection in my phone cord or something... I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Anyone using dial up on their ibook? And is it possible to get different speeds on the same phone line but different connection spots in the house?
Yes, it is. You can and likely will get different speeds from different jacks and different computers in the same jack. It is simply the nature of the technology and due largely in part to the inside wiring of the home. It is unfortunately one of the many drawbacks of dial up.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
I was a bit worried over it after having the problem with that total access program on it. Someone said it could have messed up OS. But I'm at work right now on my ibook (using wireless) and it's as fast as can be. So, I think OS is fine - it's just slow dial up :( Can't wait for our area to get DSL!!
I can get satellite BUT, the companies are either VERY expensive or they don't have dial up access number for when on vacation (if I can't get wireless service). So, dial up at home it is for now.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
Since I have switched ISP's, I'm having weird issues with my connection. I don't know if it's the ibook or my ISP or my phone line. Hope someone can help.
I have dial up at home - I keep the phone line plugged into ibook. Before I switched ISP's, all I had to do was open ibook and click on connect and I was connected. Now.... I have to unplug the connection from the ibook and re-plug back in each time. If I don't, it says, no dial tone found or cannot connect.
This has me stumped as to whose fault it is. As soon as I unplug and re-plug back in, it connects fine.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
ibook problem or server??

I don't even want to use my ibook at home! I have a desktop eMac also that i use. I have two questions with 2 problems -- first, I have to ALWAYS unplug the phone cord line off ibook and when I open the lid, then I plug in otherwise it won't connect. It never used to do this. Is something wrong? It started to happen when I switched ISP's.
Second.... this ibook is SOOOO slow in loading web sites. My older eMac is so much faster. I'm on dial up at home. I'm wondering if it could be servers??
On the eMac, I'm using Camino and on the ibook I'm using Safari. But... when I take my ibook to work with me, I'm using their wireless service and it's extremely fast with no slow ups at all using Safari.
So, I'm stumped. I'm getting about 24000 bps on the eMac and about 21000 on the ibook. I have tried using the exact same hookup area as the eMac and it makes no difference. I thought it had something to do with the phone jack but that doesn't seem to be the case.
HELP!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.