Crashing Becoming a Huge Problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I've had my iMac for a few month's now, everything running fine.

However over the last week, Programs crashing has became a big problem.

-Creative Suite CS2 Application Crash at Loading Screen
Note: I downloaded a trial previously from Adobe for Photoshop this ran smoothly up until the end of the trail where by then it had started crashing.
-Adobe Updater Crashed at Selection
-DivX Player when I enter my Movies Folder
-Programs not responding after the Load up of Applications for mentioned above. Such as iChat, Adium, iTunes, Mail.

I have tried using these Applications when no other known Application is in use, and also while disabling all possible Add-On's and extras in the System Preferences.

I would appreciate any help in trying to diagnose the problem, as you can expect this is somewhat destroying my experience with OSX.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe it's that whole repair permissions thing?

newbie here, so i'm not sure. i would have guessed some kind of contention, but you said you made sure nothing else was running.

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried the repair permissions it didn't fix it, but thanks for your help anyway :)

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to that piece of software there isn't a problem with the .plist files but thanks again for offering your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I know photoshop is not a universal binary so you have that problem. You could also look into memory.. if it's not lodged in fully, it came loose, or you put in new memory (potentially bad) crashes are very very common. Those are just a couple other things you could look into :)

Reaction score
I've had my iMac for a few month's now, everything running fine. However over the last week, Programs crashing has became a big problem.

Do you have a program like Onyx installed, that lets you perform system optimisation and other maintenance tasks...have you ran CS2 under Rosetta?

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't used Onyx, I know that CS2 runs under emulation I just find it strange that the Software originally ran very well at the start but then towards the end it started to have problems, something I originally thought was refered to the Trail Expiration and problems around that.

However since a fresh installation of the Program, I'm still getting the same problems.

I am using an Intel iMac so it must be running under Rosetta.

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you need to do a Get Info on the App and select the "Open Using Rosetta" option......

Not that I know of, theres no option available to Open the program via something else.

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used Onyx and Photoshop CS2 worked fine, albeit a bit to slow. Would you suggest a RAM upgrade and if so got any suggestions where I could get it from as I'm still a newbie :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.