Loading Classic Into OS X

A

AVIDOG

My iMac finally died, so I had all its data put onto a Lacie Brick and then asked to look at the Mac's in the Apple store. It so happened they had an eMac that had come in on a trade in and had been reconditioned by the store's technician. I bought it. It's loaded with OS X 10.2 Tiger. Don't ask me what that means exactly. So far the Tiger part just seems to mean I get bigger icons that look more like a Microsoft Windows desktop (except that I can resize them).

Once I got the eMac started I began trying to load some of my favourite and aboslutely essential programs, but the ones that run on Classic require System 9. No system 9 is installed, but there is an apparent space for it in the System folder: within a sub folder called 'Classic'. However, when I insert the iMac software CD it doesn't install. It just says no Classic is installed. I can't get the eMac to boot from the iMac software disc. Holding the 'C' key down on restart has no effect. Besides if I do get it to boot from the iMac installer disc, I'm scared of erasing System X and replacing it with System 9 in the process. This computer did not come with system X discs, just with the system preloaded. I also got no manual. I need help loading a Classic system somewhere in the eMac so I can run my Classic based software.

About this Mac says the eMac is running OS X version 10.2, with 256 MB of SDRAM and an 800 MHz Power PC G4 processor. The boot volume is Tiger. The Bus speed is 100 MHz. The eMac version is 2.1 and the Darwin Kernel Version is dated July, 2002, so maybe the hardware is four years old.

Also I notice my eMac machine is loaded with Microsoft Explorer. I like to use Mozilla. In fact I'll use Opera, Safari (if I had it), iCab or any other browser that works, rather than Explorer. I have nothing against Gates or his company, but his software attracts viruses. I want it out. I don't even use Explorer on my IBM clone. What happens if I delete Explorer? The browser seems to be very integrated into the on screen system functions. Can I set up another browser to do the same job on this computer?

Thanks for considering this help request.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel core duo - iBook G4
My iMac finally died, so I had all its data put onto a Lacie Brick and then asked to look at the Mac's in the Apple store. It so happened they had an eMac that had come in on a trade in and had been reconditioned by the store's technician. I bought it. It's loaded with OS X 10.2 Tiger.

<OS X 10.2 is called Jaguar. OS X Tiger is the 10.4 version>

Don't ask me what that means exactly. So far the Tiger part just seems to mean I get bigger icons that look more like a Microsoft Windows desktop (except that I can resize them).

<I can understand you, but OS X is far superior to any previous Mac OS version>

Once I got the eMac started I began trying to load some of my favourite and aboslutely essential programs, but the ones that run on Classic require System 9. No system 9 is installed, but there is an apparent space for it in the System folder: within a sub folder called 'Classic'.

<OS X don't want people putting hands inside its System folder. Please forget about that OS 7 to 9 behaviour>

However, when I insert the iMac software CD it doesn't install. It just says no Classic is installed. I can't get the eMac to boot from the iMac software disc. Holding the 'C' key down on restart has no effect. Besides if I do get it to boot from the iMac installer disc, I'm scared of erasing System X and replacing it with System 9 in the process. This computer did not come with system X discs, just with the system preloaded. I also got no manual. I need help loading a Classic system somewhere in the eMac so I can run my Classic based software.

<Your OS X eMac have nothing to do with your old iMac G3 instal CD's. Forget about them>

About this Mac says the eMac is running OS X version 10.2, with 256 MB of SDRAM and an 800 MHz Power PC G4 processor. The boot volume is Tiger. The Bus speed is 100 MHz. The eMac version is 2.1 and the Darwin Kernel Version is dated July, 2002, so maybe the hardware is four years old.

<Your hardware is good enough to run OS X and OS 9 (call it Classic)>

Also I notice my eMac machine is loaded with Microsoft Explorer. I like to use Mozilla. In fact I'll use Opera, Safari (if I had it), iCab or any other browser that works, rather than Explorer. I have nothing against Gates or his company, but his software attracts viruses. I want it out. I don't even use Explorer on my IBM clone. What happens if I delete Explorer? The browser seems to be very integrated into the on screen system functions. Can I set up another browser to do the same job on this computer?

<You may trash explorer if you want, and install any of the other browsers you mentioned>

Thanks for considering this help request.

<To install OS Classic in your new eMac (far superior to any iMac G3 - I used one for 5 years daily) insert the install disks 1 that come with the eMac, click in whatever says "additional install" or "additional software" and chose to install "Classic". Later (after reboot) you can install your old OS 9 applications inside a folder called "Classic Applications" or so, and open them the usual way (double click); your OS Classic documents can be close to the documents made by new OS X applications, in same folders with no trouble.
I hope it helps.>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.